Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Lone Pine again?

Monday, May 26, Weaning Complete

Soon after saying goodbye to BSCM, completing the weaning process, and leaving Kennedy Meadows, I entered the South Sierra Wilderness. 


It was important that I get an early start if I were to get twenty or so miles in with a lot of elevation gain to get over the first mountain pass of the Sierras. There are eleven passes in the next stretch of the Sierras. 






Beautiful views are everywhere. There was plenty of time to look at the views as I was hiking slower than usual pushing to get up and over a pass at about 10,500 feet. 

Since I started the hike so early, March 31, I wouldn't see many hikers on a typical day. April 27th the herd, also called the "Kick-off Tsunami", or "the bubble" left from the border. The fast ones are now catching me. Folks hiking 30 and 35 miles per day, and taking few zeroes, are zipping ahead. Now I'm seeing a lot more hikers. 

My first car was a 1958 Volkswagon Beatle. It had only a 36 horsepower engine. I remember taking trips home from college driving over the steep grade of the Grapevine on Interstate 5 in the slow lane, creeping along with the big semis. All the people with real cars passing made me so envious. I felt like a '58 VW today. 

A few hikers I met before showed up again. Gretchen from Riverside, and the Colonial (who hikes in a three pointed Revolutonary War hat), are two who come to mind. It's fun to reacquaint. 

I switched from my Pocket Rocket stove to my alcohol stove, made by my son-in-law Colin Foulke, for the Sierras because fire restrictions aren't as stringent in this high elevation area. It works, but I realized after the first two meals I wouldn't have enough fuel to last for the long (estimate 14 day) stretch ahead. Plan B had to come into play. The original plan was to pick up just my food resupply box at Horseshoe Meadows, just adding hitching a ride to Lone Pine made logistical sense. I would head in to town again to get more fuel to supplement my cooking situation, pack my food, clean up, sleep in a bed, and get other goodies.


Tuesday, May 27, Horseshoe Meadows

I was able to get in 21 miles yesterday, and get over the first pass. By getting an early start, and pushing, there was hope I could get to Horseshoe Meadows, and my stored food in a reasonable time. It requires another 21 mile day, but the elevation gain would be nothing like yesterday. 

If I could get to Horseshoe Meadows early enough the new plan should work. I thought of a few other nice things I could use, for instance my Tums supply was going to be woefully short for the next stretch. Also, I'm craving pepper jack cheese. Another hiker had a leak in one of his water bottles, I gave him one of mine, as I would be able to replace. 




The trail led through the Golden Trout Wilderness, and started to have a real High Sierra feel to it. Gorgeous foxtail pine, granite boulders, decomposed granite, and open scenery. A real photographer would have a great time here.  My camera phone doesn't do it justice. 



I made it to Horseshoe Meadows about 6:00 p.m., and the parking lot was virtually empty. One car. I approached the guy who had his air mattress out and I thought may be leaving in the morning. As luck would have it he was just getting out of the stifling Lone Pine heat for the afternoon, and was about ready to head back down the mountain.  I bought him dinner for the ride, we were both happy. 

At the hostel in Lone Pine with other hikers I was packing my bear proof canister. They showed me how much food they were carrying, versus the large quantity I was planning to take. 


I was convinced to send 10 or so pounds forward to Vermillion Valley Resort. The pack is heavy enough with the extra food. 

This was an unexpected side trip, but, if I can get a ride after getting supplies I should be able to get back on the trail with some okay mileage Wednesday. 

Trail mileage, 744. Off trail for the night in Lone Pine.