Sunday, May 25, 2014

Relax and Prepare

Kennedy Meadows is a unique and wonderful hiker friendly outpost. Thru hikers are everywhere, and stories with adventures of the trail abound. But, most importantly, food!

Friday, Saturday, Sunday May 23-25

BSCM picked me up after I slack packed three miles to Kennedy Meadows Campground. We drove down to the community of Lone Pine. My good friend, Peter Wright, spent his early years in Lone Pine. Peter is hoping to join me for part of the trail when I make it to Northern California. I talked with another friend, Frank Henderson, who hopes to join me too. This could be fun. 


Lone Pine had everything I needed to prepare for the next long stretch of trail. We also did some tourist stuff such as visiting the Manzanar detention center and a fun trip to the Lone Pine Film History Museum. Many, many movies have been filmed right (not all of them westerns, but most) here on the outskirts of Lone Pine. 


With a backdrop of the Sierras, you can see why this area was used. 

I took a large box of my food up to Horseshoe Meadows so it could be used for resupply in a few days. The Horseshoe Meadows Trailhead is only 2 1/2 miles off the PCT and is about 40 miles north of Kennedy Meadows. 

Back in Lone Pine it was time to prepare. 


I worked hard to get rid of any extra weight. This pile of stuff was deemed unnecessary and was removed from my pack in an effort to make the next stretch more feasible. 

I practiced putting on my microspikes. 


The ice axe is now attached to my pack. My pack weight seems reasonable. That will change when I pick up my massive food resupply in Horseshoe Meadows!

For three days I ate, and ate, and ate. 


Other people have talked of carbo loading. My goal was calorie loading!  Now it's time to drive back to Kennedy Meadows, and the real fun begins, the Sierras. BSCM will now head to Illinois, and weaning will be complete. 

I'll be starting out tomorrow at Kennedy Meadows Campground at mile 705