Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Nostalgia, Station Fire, Super Trail Angels


The five day stretch from Wrightwood to Agua Dulce had me leaving the San Bernardino National Forest and hiking through a good piece of the Angeles National Forest. It was a good thing winds subsided because much of the area I hiked through burned in 2009 in the Station Fire, and it wouldn't have been comfortable hiking under the rotting snags in crazy winds. 

There was poor cell service during much of this stretch, especially compared to the previous part of the hike.

Theresa (BSCM) provided her typical incredible support for the first two days of this stretch before heading back to Beaumont for a couple more days with the Rainville's. 

When Theresa is supporting I get to sleep in our camper shell in the evenings. It is a great luxury. One hiker, Katie, had been talking with me about glamping, glamour camping, as we were hiking. When she saw what I got to sleep in that evening she accused me of glamping. The teasing was deserved!  I use many Wet Wipes getting clean enough in the evenings to be allowed in the back of the truck. 

Two thru-hikers, Legs and Nature, also took advantage of the truck to carry some gear and have lighter loads (slack pack).  Legs had nasty shin splints and this seemed to help. 

Another hiker, when he heard about the support I've been given said emphatically, "...you've got a GOOD wife...my wife would NEVER do that!"  He made me laugh. 

Friday, May 2, Nostalgia Day

As I left Wrightwood, a ski town I last visited in high school when I went skiing, I climbed Mt Baden-Powell, which I climbed when I was 13 or 14 in Boy Scouts. I got to look over at Mt Baldy and some of the Cucamonga Wilderness which were part of the first District I worked on with the Forest Service in 1974 and 1975. It was a day of reminiscing. I remember kids getting in trouble for cutting switchbacks on the trail going up Mt. Baden-Powell, it's possible I was one of those deviants in the old days.
That is me with the crazy hair hiking into the Cucamonga Wilderness in 1974 or 1975. Cousin Jerry was with me. He put rocks in my pack on that trip, I'm still working on forgiving him for that trick. 
I've seen these signs in Montana, but Montana isn't the only place with bighorn sheep. 
Atop Mt. Baden-Powell with Mt. Baldy in the background. Baden-Powell was the founder of the Boy Scouts. There were 40 switchbacks leading up to the 9399 foot summit. 
Limber pine near summit. 
The blue truck at the end of a long hike is always a welcome sight. 

Saturday, May 3-I Slept Through It

Just as Theresa and I were climbing into our glamping mobile, and Legs and Nature were climbing into their tent, at the Islip Trailhead all sorts of LA County Search and Rescue vehicles and searchers showed up to search for an injured and lost hiker. I went to sleep as it had been a long, hard day. We hadn't seen anything on our way. Apparently a few hours later helicopters were hovering over the trailhead and it was quite a commotion, Theresa and Nature told Legs and me all about it in the morning. The two guys slept through the whole thing. Nature was incredulous, Theresa knows that when I'm tired I can sleep through World War III. 

From the trailhead Legs and Nature were going to road walk for about four miles, I wanted to take the trail so I left early. When I took off they realized Theresa had a flat tire. They were happy to be able to help Theresa, and not just being helped by Theresa. 
A bit of a road walk was required. Of course that meant Theresa was available to have coffee and hot food for brunch, it doesn't get much better than this. 
I had laid down, trying to do a selfie when a couple with this dog came day hiking from the other direction. It was a fun and funny moment. Their dog got in the picture as I hit the 400 mile mark on the hike. They were doing some filming... something like PCT adventures on YouTube. Who knows, I may be a star someday:)
A couple of guys working on this historic cabin had some stale pizza that was delightful. 
More snow plant. These look so unique they just make me smile. 

Sunday, May 4th-Station Fire 2009

After staying at Three Points Trailhead for the night Theresa headed out for three days and I will therefore sleep on the ground like most PCT hikers for a bit. 

I met a thru-hiker today who spent way, way, way more time preparing for this hike than I did!  When he showed me his color-coded resupply spreadsheet I knew I was overmatched in the planning department. Then he told me he had pared it down from the original four pages to just this one page. I knew I was out of my planning league. I really don't know how (or what) I'm going to resupply in Oregon or Washington except that I have friends up there who will help when I get there. I'm so lucky that for the first 700 miles or so of the hike I have Theresa close by as my resupply plan. After that my resupply plan is to go to the store when I need to resupply.

I was able to glean some good information about how to handle resupply in the Sierras. The guy really had done his research well. 

The hike is now through the remnants of the large Station Fire of 2009. 

I made it near the Mill Creek Fire Station for the evening. The folks there were a great help. 

Monday, May 5, Early Start

I woke up early, and was hiking by 4:45 a.m..  
Hiking through more of the burn area for so long got old. 
I came across the memorial to the two LA County firefighters who lost their lives battling the Station Fire. It was a somber  memorial. 
There was a long reroute to avoid this obnoxious, noxious, invasive plant, poodle dog bush. Hikers who have brushed against it have been forced off the trail. It's becoming widespread in the Station Fire area. They say it creates rashes and complications worse than poison oak. 

I hiked alone most of the day. This was my first 25 mile day. I tried to make it to a KOA campground with amenities that was at the 26 mark, but I just couldn't make that last mile. 

My air mattress is my nemesis. It works fine, until I sleep on it. The air is gone in three to four hours. I've checked for leak in a bathtub and can't find it, I think it needs the pressure of someone laying on it for the air to come out. I'm going to test REI's return policy. 

REI has got a lot of my business preparing for, and during, this trip. I need to buy new hiking shoes as I've worn out a pair already.  REI may be a good stock tip. Other stocks you may consider are anyone who makes ibuprofen, and Wet Wipes. 

Tuesday, May 6, Hiker Heaven


Early in the day I came to the monument commemorating the official completion of the Pacific Crest Trail in 1993. This is the figurative "golden spike" for the trail. 
This is where the trail goes under the Antelope Valley Freeway, Hwy 14. A fascinating long tunnel. 
The Vasquez Rocks Natural Area was a surprise to me. I had never heard of it, and was amazed by it. Many movies have been shot here including Star Trek, Bonanza, Austin Powers, and Bill &Ted's Excellent Adventure. They appeared to be filming another one as I passed by. 
I was hiking slow today because I was overly ambitious yesterday. The good part of hiking so slowly, and taking so many breaks, is I got passed by seven thru-hikers and got to meet some new folks, and visit with some from earlier on in the trek. 

I finally made it in to Agua Dulce and what must be the most incredible trail angel set up ever, the Saufley's. They have anything, and everything, a thru-hiker could hope for. All I really wanted was a shower, and it felt grand. Theresa was there to pick me up for a zero at my nephew Steve's house in Santa Clarita, some comfort food, and a soft bed. 

I am now at mile 455 of the 2650 trek.