Sunday, July 6, 2014

Sierra City to Bucks Lake

June 2-Wednesday-Early Start With The Old Guys

The Wi-Fi at the hotel didn't work, so the previous blog didn't publish. I let it go all night, with no success. On the way up the hill Bigfoot told me he had to go downtown to publish his blog. I wasn't going back. Sorry my blogs are late. 


Bigfoot and Structure can hike. Structure is 67 and has had both knees replaced, and he keeps going!  They give a "young" guy like me optimism for what the future can be. 


I hiked a few miles and then the traditional 1200 mile rocks were on the trail. The sign in town seems bogus. Now it's 1200 miles. 


The Sierra Buttes are a landmark that can be seen for days before getting to Sierra City, and for a couple of days after leaving Sierra City.  This day's hike went right along the base of the buttes. 



I arrived at camp quite a bit after the old guys tonight. There was already another old guy there, Toshiro (Mr. Cup) from Japan. He's 62 years old. I am the young guy at 58!

July 3-Thursday-Early Start-Late Finish


I was the first one out of camp at just after 5:00 a.m..  It is significantly warmer now than it was just two weeks ago in the higher altitudes. Getting up is so much easier when hands aren't freezing. Simply not having to wear gloves makes life easier. Hiking in the cool part of the day, and watching sunrise, makes me happy. 

The disadvantage of the weather change is mosquitoes. DEET works, as does the mosquito screen, but the sound of the swarming buzzers just inches from your head reminds you they're there, and ready for the attack, the moment you let down your guard.  The welts on my left arm are testament as to what happens when I let my guard down. 

We're told this isn't a bad year for mosquitoes. What must a bad year look like?

There was cell service on a ridge top so I called home and learned it was 105 degrees, and the air conditioner was broken.  Summer arrived. 


When I stopped for lunch all three caught up with me. Bigfoot and Structure went ahead. I offered Mr. Cup some food, but he wouldn't take any. He doesn't speak much English, so we pretty much played a mime game. 

I found out he's lost 10 kilograms on the hike, and he was obviously very skinny before the trek. His Japanese diet is not high enough in calories. When he tries to eat American food he throws up (he was very good at this mime act). He showed me his abdomen, and it was scary skinny. 


Trail humor. 


A lookout in the distance. 


After hiking late I sat up camp by headlamp. I took big breaks during the day today and still got in 21 miles. Tomorrow is a substantial climb out of the Feather River canyon, and I'm trying to set myself up for climbing the tough part during a cool part of the day. Structure and Bigfoot stopped early so I had to say goodbye, hopefully we'll meet again. 

July 4-Independence Day-Where Are All the Americans?

There weren't many folks on the trail today. There's too much going on. A big multi-day concert in Quincy  Drew many young hikers that direction. Also, it was too far from roads for local day hikers. I only saw three people, two Canadians and Mr. Cup, from Japan. It struck me as ironic that my only contact on the Fourth of July was with visitors. 


Mr. Cup and I hung out at the Feather River during the heat of the day. The swim was great. His eating worries me as he demonstrates how he weaves/staggers when he walks down the trail. 

The Canadians are a young couple, and are strong hikers. They often do thirty mile days. There is a good chance I won't see them again. We camped near each other during the night and walked past as I was gearing up for the day. They related that a black bear had run between them just before they saw me. 



As I was preparing for this hike in March I talked with my neighbor, Jimmy Johnson, in Scott Valley. He and his brothers built the bridge over Bear Creek in the Plumas National Forest!  This is their handy work. 


More trail humor :)


I was thrilled to see this sign along the trail outside Bucks Lake!  I then camped a few miles from the road in to Bucks Lake. The sign made me definitely want to avoid the craziness of concert weekend in Quincy, and get my needed stuff done in a more sane location. 

July 5-Saturday-Bucks Lake


On the road heading in to the trail angel's house I ran across this sign. Ken and Terry Harris' house is for sale!!!  I know how much Theresa hates to be called Terry, so I figured there must be a mistake.

An exercise walker stopped me and asked if I was hungry. Every thru-hiker is always hungry. The Bucks Lake Volunteer Fire Department was having a Pancake Breakfast fundraiser. THIS was my lucky day!  

As I made it to the Trail Angel's house about 7:30, the coffee was on. It was just a couple hundred feet from the fire hall. We all headed down at 8:00, the trail angels insisted on paying. They also gave me all their leftovers. 




This is the Hikers' Hut I stayed at for the day. A real bed, shower, laundry, and electricity to charge my gizmos. 

And, another entry into the "it's a small world" category. Nancy Williams is Wendell Kramer's granddaughter. That makes her Dick Kramer's niece, and Alan Kramer's cousin. I knew all of them from Etna (Wendell and Dick are now deceased) and they've been to Etna many times. When I was doing private forestry work I wrote a harvest plan for the Kramers. 

A red tailed hawk being fed at the trail angels place. 

Then I started talking to Nancy's daughter, Becca Williams. She went to UC Davis and worked with my daughter, Kari, officiating intramural volleyball. She was the assigner, so she was Kari's boss!


Kari's previous "boss" at UC Davis, Becca. 

Because this is Fourth of July weekend the trail angels, Terry and Nancy Williams, had a large family gathering at their cabin. They just included me with their family. The food was fantastic. Dinner was tri-tip and salmon and great side dishes. I couldn't believe my luck. 


Nancy was incredible!  This is a Kramer Family Reunion t-shirt I found in their box of extra clothes for the hikers. 

The entire family of Giants fans made me feel at home. At one point Nancy ran outside and announced with glee "Brandon Belt just hit a home run in the tenth!"  It was so much fun. 

Terry used to be the Biggs High a School softball coach in the same time period my daughter Ashley played high school softball for Etna. He was also involved with ASA traveling teams. We had a lot to talk about. I stayed longer than I expected and spent the night in a real bed in the Hikers' Hut.  

I asked Terry if he knew Ken Harris down the road who had a house for sale. He said he used to know him, but he died, that's why the home is on the market. It struck my funny bone when he told me Ken Harris died. Mark Twain would have had fun with that one!

The previous blog finally published. I tried repeatedly to publish it, to no avail. What a pain. 

Now at mile 1270.