Monday, December 8, 2014

Hiking Again

DECEMBER 5-New Rangers and Back on the Trail Again

The new Rangers from KWS were ready for us at Mackinnon Road station. We were walking again!  Samuel and Douglas are great. 


A herd of zebra was next to the road, but I didn't get a picture. Staci was able to get one good picture of a single zebra. 

It was about a 24 mile day. I had done many of those on the PCT. This was much harder due to the heat. I was totally exhausted. Eating was difficult. I ate what I could and went to bed early. Apparently I was snoring at 6:45 p.m.  12 hours of sleep was needed, and I was teased. The only time I woke up was at 10:30 p.m. when Staci put the rain fly on my tent. 

The Swahili word for tired is choka.  I was    choka. 


DECEMBER 6-Great Village Visit

We walked into the first village in two days and stepped in to a treat. A large group of women were making baskets and singing. They enveloped Staci and I, sang, and Staci bought a couple of baskets.  I got a little video of the incredible women. What a highlight. The women were wonderful surprise!


This area seems to have more well off people. This family had a cart for hauling water. It was one of the few times we saw men hauling water. 


This guy posed for us. 


We walked by Mount Kasigau. This is a nice area. About 24 km covered.