Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Trucks, Trucks, and More Trucks

DECEMBER 1-Busy Road from Samburu to Tsavo

I hiked on a typical two track road through small villages for about seven miles. 

We took a break, and met Tony under this tree. It was a tamarind tree. I love the tamarind sauce Theresa makes at home. He tried to get a pod for me to eat, but they were way too high up the tree. 

A little past then Staci and the two guards turned left on to the busiest highway in Kenya. Mombasa is the largest sea port in Eastern Africa, and Nairobi is the largest, and Capitol city. The two laned, paved road with plenty of potholes, is a buzz of activity. 

This was not a day for wildlife viewing. 

Staci pushed hard. She wore Samson out. He finally had to get in the chase vehicle with Tony and I. They pulled off a 44km day, about 25 miles. 

During one break Samson did the excited "snake" dance, and hopped back quickly instead of sitting down in grass as originally planned. They messed around and came nonchalantly to the conclusion that it was a python. We went ahead with the break. It wasn't my most comfortable and relaxing break. 



DECEMBER 3-RAIN

Incredible rain through the night led to some flash flooding, and my tent being in a pond. It was a hard, hard rain. When I finally got the nerve to get up I saw Staci had moved her tent during the night. I wish I had. 

Any thought of hiking as originally planned was cancelled as the torrential rains continued. 


The new plan was to get in to Voi and see about meeting the Warden from the Tsavo area and getting the new Rangers lined up for the next stretch. The trip to Voi was fascinating with the flooding. What a mess on this major highway.