Monday, April 21, 2014

San Jacinto Wilderness, then down

I had a great brunch in the community of Idyllwild Friday, April 18, Staci (Hotshot), Theresa (Bat Shit Crazy Mama-BSCM), Mike and Sharleen Rainville, Bill and Cheryl Caldon and I ate and visited at a comfortable and fun restaurant. Idyllwild is a great little town. Folks are very friendly. 
Cheryl taught in Etna about 25 years ago with Mike, Sharleen, and BSCM,  She has lived in Idyllwild since leaving Etna. 

One last goodbye to Hotshot as she will be leaving the trail to start her season as a real hotshot with the Salmon River Hotshots in Northern California.  There were some huge trees in Idyllwild and the San Jacinto Wilderness. What a contrast to the desert just south, and the desert I would be hitting the next day.

The trail from Idyllwild up to the PCT is called the Devil's Slide. Up that stretch I thought of my friend from West Yellowstone, Montana, Cavan Fitzsimmons. He's the District Ranger on the Hebgen Lake Ranger District of the Gallatin National Forest. We were on a day hike on the Continental Divide Trail, I fortuitously forgot a day pack, and he carried my load. He teased me about this ever since.  The reality is Cavan literally, and figuratively, helped me carry my load often. Friends make life great.  It would be nice to have Cavan around for this stretch.
    The trail went up to 9,000 feet elevation. It got cold and hailed, I hiked until dark and sat up camp about 10 feet off the trail at about 8,500 feet.
    At about 3:30 a,m. I heard voices and saw two headlamps in the trail. I said "good morning" when they got next to me. Their leaping, flailing reaction wasn't what I had intended, but it was quite funny. Some like to night hike, and they apparently were trying to beat the heat of the desert coming later in the day. I couldn't sleep after that incident so I got up at 4:30, and was on the trail by 5:00. 
There is not a lot of snow this year, that's an obvious understatement. I took pictures of the few patches of snow. 
Saturday, April 19th, was the toughest day yet on the trail. The descent from 8,500 feet to 1,200 elevation down Fuller Ridge and down to the desert and Banning Pass was tough. I planned for a 24 mile day, but only made it 22 miles. 
The scenery changed drastically through the day. 
I hadn't seen a horned toad since I was a kid, so this was fun to see. 
Another milepost, I made it past mile 200. 
     Theresa (BSCM) and Sharleen Rainville picked me up a few miles south my goal, Interstate 10. I was so glad to see that blue truck!  Blisters on my feet, sore muscles, and it's time to let the body take a day off. That long downhill was tougher on me than I would have thought. Sunday will be a zero day.