Tuesday, April 15, 2014

The Painted Turtle


Theresa and I just spent a long weekend (Friday through Monday) volunteering at The Painted Turtle for Inhibitor Family Weekend. We learned so much, and had an amazing time!  In my lay terms Inhibitor is Hemophylia, but with added complications because some clotting treatments don't work. The smiles of the boys, the families, the workers and volunteers at the camp are nothing less than awe inspiring. 
So many have to deal with so much, and many times when they're so young.  I loved having the chance to be part of this. One if my goals on this hike is to make it back to the camp, while hiking along the trail, by May 17th. On May 17th The Painted Turtle is celebrating it's Tenth  Birthday/anniversary!  The camp is at about mile 500 of the hike. 
   
After leaving The Painted Turtle late Monday morning, April 14, I was able to get back on the trail for a quick 7 miles. In that short stretch I met up with Acorn. Acorn is an friend of my daughter Staci who I met briefly in Maine last fall when she was hiking the Appalacian Trail. She reminded me that the night we all spent in the shelter near Monson, Maine was her coldest night in the entire AT. I do remember it being very, very cold. I had never really thought about how cold it can get New England in the fall. I will remember that lesson in to the future.

Later I met Laura, above, who had a problem that her food resupply hadn't shown up in Warner Springs, and she was going to be on short rations for a while.  She hiked with me to the truck and Theresa and I were able to get her back on the trail, with plenty of food for her next stretch.