Friday, April 11, 2014

Three "zero" days, and a Sherpa


April 6, 7, and 8 I took time off the trail to spend time with family and friends at Bullhead City on the Colorado River. Jerry and Kay Aria, Scott and Judy Avery, Mike and Sharleen Rainville, and my daughter Staci came for a few days of eating, cards, and playing in the river. Since Staci had hiked the PCT in 2012 she had lots of helpful advice. Then, when I got back to the trail where I left off at Scissors Crossing, Staci really helped by carrying my pack the first four miles of what turned out to be a twenty mile day. She then went back to Scissors Crossing so Theresa could take her off to the airport in San Diego. I continued on for a long, hot, twenty mile day. The hike went mostly through a burned area and one hiker with a thermometer had it at 103 degrees. 
This water source about 16 miles in was very welcome. I drank 7 liters of water on the 9th. Because much of the day's hike was through a recent burn it was really difficult to even find a shady spot to get out of the midday sun. I finally found a little rocky ledge under which I took a siesta. 
Hiking in the late afternoon/early evening was much more comfortable. I hiked until it was too dark to see. I was so exhausted I slept well. 
I considered sleeping in this little cave. 
I passed the 100 mile mark on the trail the morning of April 10. 
There is so little water along the trail that little San Ysidro  Creek was a welcome respite. 
Eagle Rock along the trail at about mile 106 is an amazing natural formation!  The afternoon of the 10th I made it into Warner Springs where many thru hikers were being treated by the locals. Food, laundry, and showers were provided. While eating two funny things happened. A guy asked where I was from, I said Ennis, MT and Etna, CA. He responded surprised "I'm from Weed."  He left, then came back and asked if I've ever been involved in football. I said yes, and I probably threw yellow flags at him when he played at Weed High School. He (Swig, Andrew Tavalero) said no, but he officiated football in the Siskiyou Association too. After a little more discussion a light went off and he said "I've eaten at your house in Happy Camp!"  When I could I would feed the football officials after Happy Camp games because there's nothing available in town. He was on one if the crews who had come over. 

Then, a woman about my age mentioned she was from Seattle and I told her my daughter lived in Snoqualmie. She got a funny look and said, "where does your daughter work?"  When I told her a coffee shop, and North Face she responded with "I met your daughter and she sold me these pants. When the lady, Lucy, had mentioned she planned to hike the PCT, Staci told her she had hiked the trail in 2012 and that I was also planning to thru hike this year. It is truly a small world.                                 

 I will now take four more days off from the trail to volunteer at The Painted Turtle!!  The last time I volunteered there was an absolutely incredible experience, and I'm looking forward to having more chances to go there in the future. I'll check back in after my Painted Turtle days. 

For now I've completed 111 miles of the hike and until I get in better shape the plan of slowly breaking myself in seems reasonable. Happy Trails.