Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Naked Backpacker, Rattlesnake, 92 Miles


Saturday, April 26- Zero Day

I was planning to hike a couple more days before another zero, but a snowstorm was predicted and we decided to go back to the good company of the Rainville's. I am leaving the range of the Rainville's now, and will miss their fun, food, and friendship. It will still be Theresa's home base for the next month. Sharleen sewed up my ripped hiking pants, so I will no longer be mooning any hikers following me. The Rainville's have been trail angels like no others!  


April 27th- Sunday- Above Big Bear Lake. 

The storm turned out to be mild. A few inches up high, and it was gone quickly as I started dropping in elevation. 
Coulter pine cones are always impressive. 

This turned into a 23 mile day, I was happy it was relatively gentle terrain, and I was well rested from yesterday's zero. 

April 28th-Monday-Deep Creek


Deep Creek is the most substantial waterway yet along the trail. 

Another milestone is reached by hitting the 300 mile mark. 

I had heard many times of the hot springs at Deep Creek. They were fantastic. There are different pools of different temperatures. It was amazingly refreshing and revitalizing. There were a few folks around. Being seven miles from a road keeps most folks away. This area obviously gets extensive use, there was more trash along the trail than anywhere else so far. 

The Deep Creek pools are clothing optional. So there were no real surprises there. A few miles down the trail I was surprised. 
I was standing on the far side of this footbridge visiting with Hot Foot, a fellow thru-hiker. A backpacker hiked up to us wearing nothing but a backpack and tennis shoes. We were in a hot area now, and the noon sun was scorching. I probably should have offered sunscreen. Also, there was poison oak along the trail that is virtually unavoidable. That poor guy was smiling when he went by us, but I think his future looks bleak. I have been told the longest day of the year, Summer solstice, is supposedly naked hiking day. I was convinced before, and I'm more convinced now, this was not meant for fifty and sixty year old guys.

Silverwood Lake. 
Vultures were hovering, I decided it was time to start hiking a little faster. 

I got a 24 mile day in, thanks to Theresa being there at 14 miles and my being able to reduce my pack weight. 

Tuesday-April 29-Cajon Pass, and a bit beyond. 

This snake gave me a little startle today, but the rattlesnake about a mile further down the trail downright scared me. There were no pictures of that big boy!
The trail goes right under this huge power transmission line tower. 
This huge culvert/storm runoff underneath Interstate 15, is the PCT. It curves, and even midday, and with eyes having trouble adjusting, is dark and cool.

Another 20 plus mile day puts me at mile 347. The last three days were gentle downhill grades. Tomorrow goes up quite a bit to the Wrightwood ski area. 

Wednesday-April 30th-Uphill to Wrightwood

The immediate rise in elevation gave a nice view of Mormon Rocks and I-15 at Cajon Pass. 

When I gained elevation I started coming across bigcone Douglas-fir for the first time on the hike. 
This large holding pond on the top of a ridge confused me until I saw the top of a ski lift just beyond. This must be used for making snow. 

The Cajon Pass area was memorable to me because of the massive Panorama Fire of 1980. The Santa Ana winds were strong, just like they were as I was hiking through that area this time.  On the fire I was involved in a dicey structure protection assignment.  That fire was notable for me because Jerry Brown was the Governor then, and he wandered through fire camp.  I was interviewed then by a TV reporter from LA, but was left on the cutting room floor. 

The winds are nasty, real nasty, and there's a fire burning south now outside of Rancho Cucamonga.  Some things never change. 

 It was nice to start seeing deer tracks, and even a few does in this stretch. For much of this trip so far wildlife sightings have consisted of lizards, snakes, jackrabbits, chipmunks, and squirrels.

Sunday I hiked about 20 miles before seeing anyone else. It was great. That changed when I got to the Deep Creek Hot Springs area. 

Now I have a trail name. It took a while for one to develop. Because this hike is for The Painted Turtle, many thought Turtle was an obvious choice. There's a group hiking the trail this year who are calling themselves, coincidentally, Team Turtle. They aren't associated with The Painted Turtle. While hiking with me near Big Bear, Mike came up with the Spanish word for turtle, Tortuga. After good discussion, Tortuga was decided on as my trail name. My full name will be Tortuga Pintada, Painted Turtle.

Last week Theresa (BSCM) related that at the pace I've been going it would take me ten months to finish the trail. So, these last four days I picked up the pace and hiked 92 miles. I'm in Wrightwood now, May 1, taking a zero day and relaxing (and getting caught up on my blog).  

Thank you to everyone for all of the support. Your kind words, encouragement, and donations to The Painted Turtle are making this hike even more fun!  Relaxing now at Mile 369. Tortuga