Saturday, April 26, 2014

Up, Up, and Up


This stretch of the trail, with an elevation change from 1,200' to 8,000', is described as "...the largest northbound climb on the entire trail."  The following trail profile indicates the challenge. 
Wednesday, April 23rd, starting at mile 232. 

Mike Rainville and I made plans to meet again tomorrow, Thursday, for a ten mile day hike in a more picturesque area than he'd hiked before. The plan was for me to meet Mike at mile 255 at 9:00 a.m. This meant I needed a 23 mile day, right after a 21 mile day. It seemed to be a challenging plan, but doable. 

I woke up late, about 6:30 a.m., Pathfinder and Tour de Plant were long gone. I found out later that Pathfinder sets her alarm for 4:30 each morning and gets going quickly. I was moving slow. I stopped before long and cooked some beef stew because I needed more energy. The pack was heavy as I was carrying extra water. I was moving real slow with the steady long climb. After about five hours I was realizing it may be a problem getting to the rendezvous point with Mike on Thursday morning. About 1:00 p.m. I crossed a small dirt two-track road, and two sets of hikers.  Off to one side was Legs and Nature, and I went over to tie in with Pathfinder, Tour de Plant, and Hemlock on the other. Pathfinder was in some distress. They had been working on plans and made contact for assistance with her Spot type device, which had texting capabilities. She had been vomiting, and was very cold in her down jacket, even though she was in the midday sun. The situation was under control, they understood someone was driving up to take her to the clinic in Big Bear City.  Pathfinder was feeling somewhat better now that she wasn't climbing up that ungodly mountain while sick. Hemlock stayed with Pathfinder, and Tour de Plant and I headed out. Tour de Plant had to get to their next rendevous point to get resupply goods for her and Pathfinder. After hiking about a mile we heard the helicopter. 
It was the Search and Rescue helicopter. I'm sure Parhfinder was shocked as her situation wasn't that serious. She had plenty of water, was on a road, was feeling absolutely stable, and had assistance. There was no place to land a helicopter.  The helicopter hovered for about a half hour.  I later learned a vehicle did come soon and gave her a ride out. Pathfinder intends to bump forward when she starts feeling better to continue hiking with Tour de Plant. This made for a little trail excitement. 

There was still adverse grade ahead. I was tired. By 5:30 p.m. I was exhausted, and I had only completed 14 miles for the day. My feet were cramping. I stopped at Coon Creek Cabin, an historic Forest Service cabin.  
I was still nine miles short of where I planned to meet Mike at 9:00 a.m..  There wasn't cell phone coverage.  I cooked and ate a bunch. Legs and Nature showed up. It was cold, and I climbed in to my sleeping bag about 6:30  p.m.. 

Before I fell asleep six or seven more thru-hikers I hadn't met before showed up. There was a lot of friendly banter, then I fell soundly asleep.

Thursday, April 24th. 

At 2:00 a.m. I woke up, worried about being late meeting Mike. Finally at 3:00 a.m. I got up, and I started hiking at 3:25 a.m..  At about 4:00 a.m. I woke up a sleeping hiker, Mert, along the trail. Last week I had scared some night hikers, now it was Mert's chance to scare the bejeebers out of me. I did a dance similar to the one I do when almost stepping on a snake on the trail. Imagine moves similar to an old Three Stooges movie.  

Along this night hike I passed a private zoo with bears and apparently lions. It's supposed to be more impressive in daylight. All I saw of this site was tall fences. Because I've seen animals in cages before I'm not too disappointed to have missed this attraction. 

I felt so much better than last night!  It was cold, but I had all I needed to hike comfortably. Soon it became evident I would make it on time.  After about seven miles, with dawn on the horizon, there was Trail Magic. 
This old garbage container with soda, and a couch, made for a welcome site. I pulled out my sleeping bag and napped for a bit until the sun came up. This couch felt so good. The Pepsi tasted amazing at that point. I was able to tie in with Mike after about nine miles ready for our hike. 

Mike and I had a relaxing hike through a nice portion of the San Bernardino National Forest. 
It was fun to chat with Mike and have someone to share this unique and beautiful country with for a ten mile portion. Theresa (BSCM) picked up Mike and took him back to his car. I did two more miles giving me an acceptable 21 mile day. 

During today's hike I passed the 1/10th point on my journey!  The trail is 2650 miles long, and I made it past mile 265. We're also nearly ten percent of the way to the fundraising goal too!

Theresa and I drove down to Big Bear City so I could take a shower at the hostel and eat a big meal at the Sizzler. We settled in for a comfortable evening in the camper shell.

Friday, April 25

I didn't want to wake up. BSCM could have been called Cattle Prod, or Crow Bar, in her efforts to get me moving at 5:30 a.m..  After a couple of cups of coffee, and some food, I hit the trail at 6:50 a.m..  

It was so hard to get moving, but then felt so good when I got moving. It was cool enough that it was easy to move fast. I was slack packing so I didn't have much weight on my back. There was one 1000 foot elevation rise, but it wasn't bad with such a light pack. It seemed like a good day to again try a 10 by 10. The race was on!

It helped immensely that the trail tread was in good shape. 
A few days ago, when I was in the desert near Banning Pass while taking a break in the heat, a thru-hiker told me he planned to go snow skiing when he got to Big Bear City. He had been told it's higher elevation and they make snow there. I expressed my skepticism. I mentioned to him something about a drought. Here are pictures of the ski areas on the far side of Big Bear Lake. In another year some spring skiing may be possible, but not in 2014. 
The trail does provide for some nice views of Big Bear Lake. 
I was successful with the 10 by 10 challenge. I made it about 10.3 miles with five minutes to spare. The success is somewhat tainted because it wasn't with a full pack, and because I knew today was a nero and I didn't have to worry about pacing myself. We headed down to Beaumont to see Jaclyn Rainville, who will be flying back to Seattle on Saturday. 

I had skipped visiting at the well-known trail angels, Ziggy and The Bear, in the community of Whitewater near Interstate 10 last week. I didn't think it was a big deal, and I had the ultimate personal trail angels, the Rainvilles, spoiling me rotten just a few miles down the road in Beaumont. I did get razzed about this apparent unofficial trail sin of not checking in. Previously my daughter, Hotshot, told me I must stop in at Ziggy's too, but I ignored her.  So, since I had a little time before touching bases with the Rainvilles again, I drove again down to Whitewater. My picture was taken (it's similar to an "arrest photo," holding the small whiteboard up on my chest with my "number" on it) and I got these trail angel's contact information. I was number 286 for this season. There are 285 signed up ahead of me attempting to thru-hike PCT this summer. This is early in the season too. 

This weekend is the Annual Day Zero  Pacific Crest Trail Kick-Off (ADZPCTKO) way south in Lake Morena. ADZPCTKO is the traditional starting for PCT thru-hikers. Many on the trail are going back for it. Now the "bubble" will begin hiking north. I went to the kick-off two years ago and decided not to go back this year     There was good information there and I am glad I went once for the information provided.

A snowstorm hit the Big Bear area Friday night. Taking an unexpected zero while the storm passes, in the comfort of the Rainville's trail angel abode, was my decision for Saturday. On hold now until Sunday at mile 278.