Monday, September 8, 2014

Nero and a Zero

September 8-Monday-Nero

My last zero day was August 7th. The week of August 1-August 7 were zero days for putting in trail miles, but they were very busy and active days at the start of the Northern California fires. The last real relaxing zero day for me was July 25, after arriving at Etna Summit. For the entirety of the hike I have not needed a break so much. My feet especially hurt, as if needles were poking them. 

With an early start I was able to hike the ten miles in to Snoqualmie Pass by 10:30. The trail cuts right across the ski trail runs of Snoqualmie Pass. 

Quite a gathering of hikers was forming. 


With the visit from Glitter, who drove up from Seattle, everyone in the family except Moxie was present. Moxie has left White Pass and seems to be catching up. She definitely has the ability to finish with the family.  


Glitter, in the blue, came up to greet everyone. It was wonderful to reconnect. 
 



Teddy Rose and Firecracker were energetic and doing some serious joking around. Teddy Rose is a modern dancer, maybe this was a modern dance move she learned in college. 

We were all relaxing and loosening up. 

Laundry and drying of wet gear were the key actions of the day, in addition to eating, elevating my feet, and watching mindless TV. My plan was to watch Gilligan's Island re-runs and sleep. I couldn't find Gilligan's Island, but was able to find the History of Soda Pop on the History Channel. It was just as mindless as Gilligan's Island and had the same effect, an afternoon nap. 

My friend John McDonald came up from Bonney Lake and we had dinner and visited. What a nice visit. 

September 9-Tuesday-Glorious Zero

Finally a zero. 

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy. 

Every part of me needed this day, but especially my feet. 

I keep reading and hearing about the major fires on the Klamath National Forest. My thoughts are with everyone there. Nancy Hood, who has been a lookout on the Klamath for as long as anyone can remember, more than fifty years, lost her house in Scott Bar to the fire. She is one a fantastic person and the source of infinite historic information of the Klamath River vicinity. I know the love folks have for Nancy will gush forward. 


Jaclyn Rainville and Mark Witherbee came up the hill from Issaquah, Washington with my food resupply and to visit. Every Rainville provided support on the trail!  Great friends who fortunately decided to live scattered along the length of the PCT. Mike and Sharleen in Southern California; Christa, Kyle and Brady in Etna; Ben and Carly near Portland, and; Jaclyn and Mark in Snoqualmie. Wonderful support. 

Resting with feet up at Snoqualmie Pass, Washington, mile 2402.