Sunday, September 28, 2014

OH CANADA!!!!!!

September 21-Sunday-Easy Nero

Theresa had quite the adventure as I had hiked from Stevens Pass to Rainy Pass. She wouldn't give a hint as to what she was up to. A quick trip to Montana was in order for her. A "quick trip to Montana" is an oxymoron.  She was able to visit with many friends in a short time. She predicted I would be jealous, she was right. 

Pokemon, Georgia, Bat S*** Crazy Mama, and I went out to breakfast and did last minute chores before heading up to Rainy Pass. The connection worked well with the other hikers. 

Soon after starting we hit the 2600 mile point. Being at Rainy Pass with Highway 20, a major road, and a weekend, meant 
many day hikers the first part of the hike. 



Princess and Mr. Sandals do a little routine each hundred miles. This was a lot of fun. I don't know any German and apparently when I try they think it's comical. What fun!


More unique mushrooms keep popping up. 


The day started in the trees, but shortly after views opened up. 



Alpine larch, a deciduous conifer, was present throughout this area. The vegetation changes on the entire hike have been fabulous. So many times my mind went back to college dendrology and botany classes from so long ago. If only a person could remember all they had learned. 


Fifty miles to Canada. It was not just counting down the number of days, it was now figuring out how many hours of hiking until completion. 

Talks of post hike plans abound. 

The weather is cooperating. On this day last year it was an actual blizzard. Today it was shorts weather. Rain is in the forecast for Wednesday, the planned completion date. That isn't frightening anyone. 

Spirits are high. 

Day 175. 

At mile 2611, near Methow Pass. 12 mile nero. 


September 22-Monday-Meeting Finishers

Because it was a starry night I didn't put up a rain fly. The mosquito netting was all I slept under. There was no rain for Monday, 20% chance for Tuesday, and 50% for Wednesday in the last forecast. 

I woke up to rain splashing on my face. It was very effective in getting me to hustle getting my gear together and proceeding on the trail. 

For those not entering Canada, once they get to the monument marking the border they immediately head back south.  I saw Green Card, Midway, Masshole, and another thru-hiker who knew Theresa well due to the rides she had provided in Southern California. 

It was especially nice to reconnect with Midway. For quite a while from the Sierras until Old Station we would make regular contact, but I hadn't seen him since then, about 1200 miles ago. 

Seeing and congratulating all the thru-hikers finishing made the impending completion more concrete. I almost certainly will never see them again as they are scattering everywhere. This bizarre annual gathering of eclectic, determined, stinky, northbound, masochists was about to come to an end. I'm so ready for it to be done because of the discomfort of my legs and feet. Yet, I'm sad it is coming to an end. I didn't realize how beautiful Northern Washington would be, rivaling the Sierras, and I'm going to miss my trail friends. 



A mountain lion had the folks in this camp concerned so they left this warning note. I had no plans of camping there anyway. 


Again, hiking into the night. 


Another sign that we are getting even closer to the end. 

I'm hiking slowest, but Teddy Rose is hiking slow due to her ankles, and Tidy Camper's feet/ankles are hurting too, slowing her down. For the bodies of many of us the end of this hike will not be a bad thing. 

There were stars out, the rain from earlier was gone, or so I thought. I cowboy camped, for about 20 minutes. Washington is unique, I was looking at stars and being rained on at the same time. I quickly put up my tent AND rain fly. 

At mile 2634.  A 23 mile day. 

September 23-Tuesday-Getting Excited-Getting Rain-Great Views-Going Slow





What a great time of year to be in the Pasayten Wlderness with the golden alpine larch and the brilliant red of the huckleberries contributing to the fall color pallet.

It rained off and on all day.  My legs and feet were ready to be done with this hike. I've thought if this hike were one hundred miles longer I could probably gut it out, if it were two hundred miles further I would have to seriously reconsider. Luckily, it's not that much more. 

It took the entire day, daylight until after dark, just to make it twenty miles. The number of finishers who were heading southbound and back to Hart's Pass and Rainy Pass contributed to my slow pace. Captain, Dozen, Peanut, two Israelies, JT and Smiles, and others.  These were hikers who didn't get paperwork done to enter Canada. One described it as the "victory walk" for them. It was great to visit with all of them for one last time. Reminiscing and commiserating abounded. Folks will be heading back all around the US and the world.  It was bittersweet to see and visit with them. It was sad to know I will likely never see any of them again. 

At midday I was exhausted and sleepy. When driving if I were so tired I would pull over and nap. Why not nap along the trail one last time when the rain subsided?  So, I did. 

The rain started really picking up as I finally pulled into camp after dark. There was no thought of cowboy camping or just having a mosquito netting. 

The last night on the trail, cooking and getting everything together from inside the tent, made me realize how lucky I was to not be in my bivy sack. Once I ate, and was comfortably in my sleeping bag listening to the hard rain, the thoughts rushed in about the hike ending.  


September 24-Wednesday-CANADA

Day 178. 

It was still raining quite hard in the early morning. I ate and took care of everything possible from inside the tent. Then, with a speed unimaginable months before, I folded up the tent and got on the trail quickly. The plan was whoever was in the lead would stop one-half mile from the border and wait, so the five of us could cross the border together. I assumed they would catch me, but not this day.


The rain filled much of the trail with water, but couldn't dampen my spirit. 

Adrenaline does great things. I couldn't feel the pain due to the excitement. As I waited for the others 1/2 mile from the border, I made a celebratory cup of coffee. As I sipped on the warm brew Tidy Camper and Firecracker walked up and I heated water for them as we waited for Mr. Sandals and Princess.

This was a special time. This was why I pushed so hard to get through Oregon. I did not want to get to the finish alone or with strangers. The only thing that could have been better is if Glitter and Moxie could be with us.  Glitter is back at work in Seattle, and Moxie is just a few days back. 

Then it was time for the five of us to walk together to the finish. 





Elation! Tears! And a lot of pictures. 2660 miles, and a bucket list item completed. It was emotional...and wonderful!!!!!! A long term challenging goal completed. 

Then eight miles more hiking in Canada heading north to the trailhead. 


And more celebration at the trailhead where Theresa waited. She was there at the beginning, the middle and the end. She's driven way more miles than I hiked, 5,762 miles. 

I'm glad to have undertaken this hike because of the people I met, the places I was able to see, and even because I'm in better shape than most other 58 year olds. But, I'm glad it's over. My body is tired. 

Bat S*** Crazy Mama is ready to turn back to Theresa. Most people doing this hike have support of some sort, but the support I received from BSCM was such that could become legendary. I'm glad Mike Rainville gave me the name Tortuga when he did, because my name may have been Spoiled Rotten, or something like that, if not. 

Thank you Bat S*** Crazy Mama. She keeps referring to what I will have to do to pay her back for what she has done, this could be a long pay back!

So many of you have helped I need time to remember you all. From opening up your homes, to sending notes of encouragement at just the right time, following the blog, donating to The Painted Turtle, to driving to rescue and resupply, you all are the best. The hope is to thank each and every one, and the fear is that I'll forget someone. THANK YOU!!  I have such fabulous friends and family!!

What comes next?  

The hiking goal is done, now I'll be asking those who pledged a penny or two per mile to please make their contributions to the Painted Turtle. I'm thrilled with how many have had the chance to learn about The Painted Turtle, and who have already donated. The total has exceeded $2,600 and the donations are still coming. Thank you so much!  The Painted Turtle is simply a wonderful place with good people doing the right things. Theresa and I look forward to volunteering there more often now that we're both retired. 

This isn't the last blog. When I get home and have some time (and find someone who can teach me how) I will add some of the videos I took along the way. I will update fundraising efforts, add some of Mr. Sandals and Tidy Camper's photographs and/or videos, try to thank all the people who made this adventure possible, update the status of my impending grandfatherhood, and give information for my next adventure starting November 20. 

On November 20th I will head to Africa with my middle daughter Staci (Hotshot). We will start in Kenya, at the Indian Ocean, and she will hike the entire way to Tanzania and then climb Mount Kilimanjaro. I will provide support along the hike, hike through many of the Kenyan National Parks, then climb Mount Kilimanjaro with her. This should take about two months, after which I will head back to Etna, and Staci will head to Uganda to do some incredible kayaking. That blog address will be hiketoclimb.com

I hope to have the next blog up in three or four weeks. Thank you all for your support. 

At mile 2668-Manning Park, British Columbia, Canada