Sunday, September 14, 2014

Snoqualmie Pass to Stevens Pass

September 10-Wednesday-Six Months of Retirement. 

The nero and zero were almost too wonderful. I didn't leave the hotel room for the trail until I had to at 11:00. The trail was rocky and there was a lot of climbing.  The rest of the family left at 7:00.  At one point I thought I would try to catch them, but it became evident early that wasn't going to happen. They did 21 miles, I did 15 miles. 

Today marks six months of retirement. The decision to retire was extremely difficult for me. I loved my job, where I was living in Montana, the community, the people at work, and I loved the land.  The place was/is incredible. There were numerous plus and minus pages around the house with the advantages and disadvantages of retirement. 

No single point on the charts made the decision. My sister-in-law died in a car accident on January 3, 2013. She was young, in her forties, and had all kinds of plans of things she wanted to do. She didn't get to do them. Life is short, and we never know how short. Both of my parents died in their fifties, and I'm fifty-eight. 

I'd wanted to do the PCT for quite a while. When I was the District Ranger at Happy Camp I made it a point to hike the PCT through the District. Those section hikes whetted my appetite.  Then, just before I went to my job in Montana, I joined Staci (Hotshot) for the first 110 miles of the trail. I was hooked, and more serious that I would hike the trail someday. 

I certainly questioned my retirement decision. After a while on the trail though I started realizing how right the decision was. The pressure was gone. Sleeping through the nights became normal. Tension in my chest was gone. Instead of mulling over work concerns, the big worries were where the next camping spot was, when was water coming up, would it rain, how steep the trail was going to be, and how sore were my feet. They were all easy issues to deal with. They were all concrete. Dreams were of the trail and a soon to be granddaughter, not of work. 

I miss being around my co-workers, but the trail folks I've met have been so fascinating it has helped the transition. 

I don't miss meetings. Being outside is way better than meetings, even on rainy, steep, ugly days.  It just seems I was meant to be outside more. I'm happier when outside.  

After six months my conclusion is I made the right choice in retiring. 

The zero day, sandwiched between two neros, helped my body and my attitude, immensely. For the entire hike I have taken 26 zeroes.  That's about a one per week average, but they were very, very, very inconsistent. There were many zeroes in Sourhern California, way fewer (three) n the middle of the state, then the big seven day zero right after getting to Oregon. One real zero per week would have been infinitely more sane. 


Leaving the amenities of Snoqualmie Pass. 


The first few hours of the day's hike was forested, then the trail went up into great views. 





Extremely difficult trail building here reminiscent of the Sierras. 





September 11-Thursday-Playing Catch Up Again

Because I only made it fifteen miles the previous day, this would be a 25 mile day. That's challenging in Washington. The trails are rocky, and there's a lot of up and down.  It is, however, beautiful. 




There was no problem finding water. 



A note along the way let me know where the camping spot would be for the evening. Teddy Rose and Trail Kandy added their touches. 



I hiked for quite a while with Teddy Rose. She is one determined and tough young woman. 

The blister on my left heel returned with a vengeance. I hobbled in to camp late and in pain. It hurt much worse than a typical blister. 

I got a needle from Princess with plans of popping it, but quickly ate and went to bed instead. Sleep was out of the question, the blister hurt too bad. It had formed under a large callous. Finally after 10:00 I decided to puncture it. On my third try the needle went through the callous and it was instant relief. From misery to elation in an instant. I was exhausted, and with the throbbing gone immediately fell asleep. 

September 12-Friday-More Washington, Challenging Trails and Beautiful Scenery

Princess did some more work on my blister in the morning. It was successful, and made hiking possible. 

A twenty mile day was planned, which sounded great. It was Washington however, and twenty mile days are challenging in this state. 


Big Dirty does not use poles either!  There aren't many of us. Apparently there was another hiker, Ewok, who didn't use poles and played an instrument similar to a Handpan that my son-in-law plays. I wish I had met Ewok. 

Big Dirty has hiked the entire trail, including the Sierras, in sandals. He brought up that very few people this year have been able to go straight through, footstep by footstep, all the way from Mexico to Canada. A great number got held up by the fires. Others got caught up by the other closures. Especially now the trail is full of hikers who skipped Northern California. I feel so lucky to have been able to do it footstep by footstep. 





A group of four southbound section hikers warned me about a terrible ford that was coming up right ahead. This was it, not very terrible. It's all a matter of perspective. I wonder how they would have described some of the fords in the Sierras. I didn't even get my feet wet on this one. 


An island in Deception Lake. 


September 13-Saturday-Stevens Pass



I got a very early start, and was greeted with a beautiful sunrise. 


Autumn colors are starting to appear. 


Hiking into Stevens Pass I passed into this mountain biking trail at the ski area. It was getting a lot of use. What a great way to use the ski area in the off season. 

After fourteen miles I met up with Theresa!  The others made it to the truck soon thereafter. There was time for a couple of meals, a hotel room, and to resupply for the next, notoriously tough, portion of the trail. Only one more resupply, at Rainy Pass, remaining. The reality is starting to set in that this hike really is going to end someday...and someday soon.