Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Becoming a Peregrino

 






The flights from Lisbon, to Madrid, to San Sebastián Airport were easy and uneventful. Those are my favorite types of flights:)

Instead of taking a bus, I walked to the town of Irún from the airport. When I arrived at the albergue (a hostel for peregrinos) hadn’t opened yet. It doesn’t open until 4:00 p.m..  I went to a small local restaurant and had great food, then decided to walk to France. I’ve never been to France, so I thought I’d better take advantage of the opportunity. Being in three countries in the same day is a new concept for me:).

A Peregrino is a pilgrim. This albergue is entirely for peregrinos.  I was able to get my credentials (passport) for the trek, as well as the traditional shell.  This particular albergue has twenty bunkbeds, in two sleeping rooms, as well as showers, kitchen, communal visiting rooms etc.  It’s well organized, and there are peregrinos are from all over the world.  I’m surprised that at the albergue I have not met another American.  I’ve met a Belgian, an Argentine, quite a few from Germany, one from Korea, and some with accents I can’t place.  Lots of languages are spoken:)

My simple explanation of what a pilgrimage is, it’s a walk with a purpose.

One tradition of the Camino de Santiago is to carry a shell  a shell is the symbol of the trail. They had shells at the Albergue for those like me who didn’t bring a shell from home. 

Some last minute shopping, sunscreen, nail clippers etc, and I’ll be ready to actually start tomorrow:)