Friday, April 28, 2023

Navigation App Needed

 







Morning breakfast was as small as before. When asked if I wanted Spanish coffee or American coffee, I was in Spain, why not Spanish coffee. It was about the size of a shot glass. As I was sipping this tiny bit of coffee from a shot glass with a handle I felt like I was playing with the toy tea set with my granddaughters. From now on, it will be American coffee (Café Americano) for me. 

San Sebastián was about an hour into the hike and it is a very nice touristy place. While there I bought a cap to protect my increasingly balding head, ate two more  breakfasts, and two cups of American coffee. This city is stunningly beautiful, but, a bit expensive looking at many of the shops etc. 

It appears to be more challenging for me to stay focused on staying on the trail in cities than in rural areas. In other words, I took some unplanned extra steps. We’ll call it sightseeing. When I ask, there’s a wide variety of opinions as to which app to use. 

After leaving San Sebastián, headed toward Zarautz and my hopeful tie in with my new/old German friend Peter, I met a 27 year old hiker from the Netherlands, originally from Russia, who had a trail navigation app a technosaur like me can use. When I got to WiFi I immediate bought it. He’s on a short hike and has to go back to work in his tech job. I hiked with him all the way to Zarautz and we made really good time. He wanted to work on his English,  so we chatted a lot. He spoke no Spanish at all.

I’m amazed at how few Americans are on the Camino thus far. There are so many from Switzerland, Brazil via Italy, Germany, Belgium, Korea…it’s really fun to meet so many folks from everywhere and learning about their countries. 

When I arrived in Zarautz the albergue I planned to stay at was closed. The hostel my new Russian/Holland friend had a reservation at was full. I stayed at surf training school hostel situation. It worked out well, but I was at lest double or triple the age of everyone else there:)