Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Back on the Trail

It was with mixed emotions that I returned to the trail. There really wasn't much more I could do on the fire front. 

Both our cabin in the woods near Taylor Lake, and our home near Etna, were somewhat near fires. The cabin in Taylor Creek was the biggest concern. While doing other work I was able to give the fire team local information about the roads, the other cabins in the vicinity, contact information, and provide access through most of the gates in the area. 

Theresa and Charlotte went up to the cabin and took two truckloads out, just in case the Whites Fire decided to up and run. They also did some last minute clearing of wood and other flammables. Now the test is to see how fire safe the cabin really is. 

Around the house Theresa cleared pine needles from roofs and gutters. The Log Fire is still a ways away, we're across Hwy 3 from the evacuation advisory, but we've seen sparks travel long distances (last year in Montana) so being extra cautious was the mode. 

We discussed whether I should come home, and decided there wasn't much, if anything, more that could be done. 

It was a bit of an adjustment to get back on the trail.  The only thing I forgot was flip-flops.  Hiking wasn't natural at first, and it took a couple of days to get in the thru-hiking mode. 

Signs of fire and smoke were in Oregon too, but the trail was clear and safe.


August 8-Friday-Questioning Returning to the Trail


I was all cleaned up and rested when Theresa dropped me off again at Old Highway 99, near I-5 and Mt Ashland. 

After hiking less than a mile I fell down. Not counting postholing this was only the third time I fell all the way to the ground since being on the trail. It made no sense, the ground was perfectly flat, there were no rocks, it was a grassy field, and I wasn't tired. When I landed in the grass, unhurt, I started laughing. What a way to re-start my hike. 


Pilot Rock has been in my sites many times, from many angles, over the years, but this was a new vantage point. About this point I hit the 2/3 mark on the PCT. 


In addition to smoke were signs of wildfires as reminders of what I left behind. 


I was joined by Blueberry, from Alaska, for the day's hike. She wasn't very fast, but neither was I after my break.  She had just taken a month off the trail so didn't have her trail legs either.  I walked in front, so I could actually hear her.

My hearing is just bad enough that I have to guess at every other word when I walk behind most folks. It's harder to hear some folks than others. Thank goodness I could hear Pokeman when he was hiking with me. Unfortunately for him sometimes I would be so close I would accidentally kick the back if his shoes while hiking. 

Listening to Blueberry made the day zip by.  She just graduated with a degree in anthropology from the University of Alaska. We camped with Green Card for the evening. It's all new people on the trail now since my group is way ahead. 


August 9-Saturday-Roads, Roads, Roads

I was going to skip going in to the Hyatt Lake Resort as it was almost a mile and a half off the trail. Then I heard they gave a free bowl of ice cream to thru-hikers. I diverted to Hyatt Lake Resort. This resulted in a good breakfast, recharged cell phone, and of course ice cream for dessert. Doesn't everyone have ice cream for dessert after breakfast?

A message from Tidy Camper let me know that Moxie and Glitter didn't quit the trail after all!  This was confirmed by someone who had seen them preparing in Ashland. This makes me happy and gives me motivation to speed up. 



This was a day of road crossings, nineteen by my count. Paved roads, dirt roads, gravel roads. There weren't many cars, but plenty of roads for them. I'm pretty sure this was the most road crossings in a single day so far on the trail. 



I didn't see a lot of hikers today, but did see Stumbles. I met Stumbles at Tuolumne Pass, 900 miles ago, and hadn't seen her since. She is now hiking in a skirt.

Also hiking in a skirt is Dogger, a sixtyish year old retired painter from Michigan. He is a lot of fun, and convinced me I must take a vacation to Isle Royal in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. He has a dyed red beard, but will change it to orange the next chance he gets to match the fires. He's a character. 

In order to catch up with my trail family I need many high mileage days, and couldn't do it today. I was exhausted with just 19 miles. One week off and I lost some stamina.

August 10-Sunday-Failed Attempt at a Thirty

Because of a lousy night's sleep, I got off to an early start, hitting the trail at 5:15.  This helped me accomplish a 10 X 10. 

Trying to figure out my lack of energy from yesterday I decided to start with a good meal at 8:00 a.m..  Beef Stroganoff for breakfast. This reminded me of college, and pizza for breakfast. When I was at Humboldt State I worked for The Pizza Mill. In addition to eating at work, we were allowed to take a large pizza home each night we worked. For three years I always took my free pizza. Breakfast was always pizza. Who says you should eat cereal or eggs for breakfast.  


Mount McGloughlin dominated the skyline. 


I've entered another National Forest, the Fremont-Winema NF.  I took an afternoon nap, which ultimately cost me my first thirty. 


It started raining and many folks sat up camp early. I kept walking, and the rain stopped. This time I made the right choice. I kept going until dark trying to get in a thirty mile day, it didn't work. At 28 miles it was dark, and I was exhausted. Having a good meal early in the day did make for a much more respectable mileage day. 

This was the worst day yet for mosquitoes. The rain must have brought them out. Mosquito netting and DEET were saviors. 

Today marks nineteen weeks on the trail. If I were on schedule I would be at 1900 miles. Instead I'm at mile 1794. Oregon trails are not as demanding and I'm expecting to close in on the 100 mile per week average soon. 


August 11-Monday-Finally, A Thirty Mile Day


I got an early start to the day and was treated to a nice sunrise. A second 10x10 was encouraging. 


The 1800 mile mark. 


A little fire with Mount McGloughlin in the background.  


Much of the trail is in a heavily forested area, so breaking out to views like this makes for a nice change of pace. 


A fire from a few years ago with a carpet of young fir coming in. 


At Crater Lake National Park I completed a thirty mile day, a first.  It will require a lot more thirty mile days if I'm ever to catch my trail family. 

When I showed up to work in Montana a couple of years ago I went hiking with Gene Hardin, who worked in Recreation on the Madison District. He is older than me, and he walked me into the ground. I thought I was in shape, but he showed me I was an amateur at the hiking business. It would be fun to hike with Gene now and see if I could keep up. 

It was pointed out to me that I'm now behind "the bubble."  The bubble is the mass of people who started around the end of April. I had been ahead of the bubble, and crowds, for most of the hike. I felt it caught me at about Seiad Valley. With my week off the bubble is now in front and I'm avoiding the biggest crowds    of thru-hikers. 

At one point I got cell service and talked with Theresa. The Whites Fire has kicked up, a lot. Our cabin is very much at risk. It's a good thing preparatory work has been done. It's hard to stay focused on hiking when worrying about what's happening in Taylor Creek. If we lose the cabin we will rebuild, even more fire safe the next time. The goal is that nobody take any risks to try and save it. 

The plan is to resupply and continue without a zero. I've had enough zeros lately to last about two months. 

At mile 1824, in Crater Lake National Park, about six miles from Mazama Village, and ten miles from the lake.