Monday, August 18, 2014

Sore Feet-Slower Hiking-Fewer Miles

August 17-Sunday-Blister Trouble


There would be no thirty mile day with the blisters. I was happy to get in 21 miles. A stop at Elk Lake Resort provided for breakfast and a lunch.  

There was an a Elk Lake Resort where I worked in Montana. Both are Forest Service Special Use Permits. This was way more elaborate :) And way busier. 

One of the main reasons I hiked the extra couple miles to Elk Lake Resort was to charge my phone. I plugged it in and thought it was charging the entire three hours it took for me to get, and eat, my two meals. They were very busy. 

Someone had bumped my phone and the plug was ajar. I didn't get much of a charge. Disappointing. It was time to get on the trail or there would be real limited mileage. 


I stopped and dried out gear, which delayed progress further. 



At the end of twenty weeks I'm now at 1971 miles. Not quite at the desired 100/week pace, but gaining on it!

August 18-Monday-Obsidian, Lava Fields, and some Snow Fields


One of the Sisters in the Three Sisters Wilderness. 


As I hiked I was noting obsidian everywhere. Then there was a sign indicating I was entering the Obsidian Limited Entry Area. It became amazing. Boulders of obsidian. 


Large patches of obsidian. 



This portion of Oregon is anything but a "green tunnel."  Hiking on lava rocks is hard on feet. 



I was surprised to see snow in the lava fields. 


When I arrived at Mckenzie Pass the decision to hitch a ride in to Sisters, Oregon was easy. Above is the Dee Wright Observatory at Mckenzie Pass. A night in a bed, picking up some needed supplies in a town, resting my feet a bit, and charging electronics sounded good. Especially resting the feet. 

I immediately got a ride and had a relaxing night in the town of Sisters after an 18 mile day.