Sunday, August 24, 2014

Trying to Catch Up

After getting through a lava field the trail turned favorable and miles added up. I was still trying to catch up with my trail family, and seemed to be getting closer. I met with a couple of familiar hikers. 

There seem to be fewer SOBO's now. It was nice to have the bubble of SOBO's while it lasted. They would give accurate information on what/who was ahead. All SOBO's should have gone by if they have any hope of getting through the Sierras before winter storms. 

Blister problems didn't go away, I was just able to manage them. Molepads, Neosporin, and duct tape were in constant use. Staci (Hotshot) had warned me before the hike that there would be pain. She was right. 

August 19-Tuesday-McKenzie Pass (Hwy 242) to Santiam Pass (Hwy 20). 2000 MILES 

A night with a real bed in Sisters was fabulous. The motel room allowed me the chance to wash my clothes, charge electronics, and get caught up on my blog. Jim and Nancy Zanotti came up from Albany in the morning. After breakfast I did some shopping and they took me back to McKenzie Pass where I had hitched from the previous night. 



I immediately entered the Mt Washington Wilderness Area. This Wilderness Area is basically a lot of lava rocks for the first ten or so miles.  Lava rock is really tough to hike on, reminding me of some of the trail near the Hat Creek Rim in California. My feet were still sore and the lava rocks didn't help. 


This is looking south at two of the Three Sisters. 


Mount Washington


2000 MILES!!!


Father Hotshot caught back up. We hiked most of the way from just outside McKenzie Pass to the Youth Camp where we parted ways as he was staying for the night, and I wanted to get in a few more miles.

With the late start I was still able to get in 17 miles. 

When it was time to camp I was in a very large burned area from a fire 7-10 years ago. Snags were everywhere. The wind was blowing. It was impossible to find a perfectly safe spot for the night, especially as it turned dark and I was still looking. I ended up picking the "best of the worst."  Nothing happened, but snags in the wind, especially at night, spook me. 

One advantage of the jagged, nasty, torturous lava rock is that without any water the mosquitoes went away. 


August 20-Wednesday-Unexpected Rain


Much of the morning looked like this. Lots of burned snags, and heavy mist with rain. Many had looked at the weather report, this wasn't supposed to be happening. 



This hike was entirely in the Mt. Jefferson Wilderness. Mt. Jefferson is the second tallest point in Oregon, only to be outdone by Mt. Hood. 

I met two section hikers doing the state of Oregon, High Chair and Lifesaver. They had hiked with Princess, Mr. Sandals, Tidy Camper, and Firecracker. This cheered me up. They guessed the family was now about three days ahead. Considering my last few slow days due to blisters, and this morning's weather, I didn't feel too bad. I haven't taken a zero since the 7th, the hope is they have taken a bunch of zeroes. 

The rain was the topic of the day on the trail. Nobody saw it coming. Luckily, by mid afternoon it cleared up. 

It was about a 23 mile day, making it better than my last three days. 

August 21 - Thursday - Someone I Know, Papa Bear


I was floored when hiking along I saw Cabernet and Papa Bear in their sleeping bags still trying to get moving for the day. Papa Bear is Cabernet's uncle. She had been out for a three week hike in the Sierras, and had gone back to work in North Carolina.

She really liked the trail life. She really didn't like the work life. After four weeks she decided to quit her job. She is back on the trail with Papa Bear and intends to finish the hike to Canada with him. 

Like High Chair and Lifsaver, Papa Bear also had seen Princess and Mr. Sandals, only he believed they were only two days ahead. This really energized me. There was no doubt I would make it to Olalla Lake and pick up my pace again. 



Mount Jefferson, looking from the north. I had spent three days looking at the south side of this mountain and it was nice to be looking at the north side.


I wasn't expecting to walk across snowfields in August. The snow was hard, there was no postholing this time. It did bring back memories of Muir Pass.


Someone spent time building this cairn, and the two in the background, to ensure nobody would get lost. 

I had been camping solo every night since the 8th when Blueberry, Green Card, and I camped at the same spot south of Hyatt Lake Resort. As I was getting ready to call it a night Papa Bear and Cabernet came up to where I had set up camp near Olalla Lake. It was nice to catch up on stories and compare. I hadn't seen Papa Bear since just after seeing the rattlesnake on the trail out of Beldon, about 800 miles ago. I hadn't seen Cabernet for about 1200 miles. 

It had been two weeks without a zero since my break to help with fire support. In those 14 days I hiked about 326 miles. The stories about being able to pick up the pace in Oregon were true.  

August 22-Friday-Playing Catch Up

With the news in hand that my trail family was just two or three days ahead the incentive was there for an early start. I was on the trail by 5:35. 



Most of the hike was through Warm Springs Indian Reservation lands this day. Quite a few tribal members were out picking huckleberries. This is Frank Charley, he was quite talkative about how the cool temperature had kept the huckleberries firm this year. His sister also came by with quite a load of berries.


Eventually I hiked off the reservation and was in the Mount Hood National Forest. 


Just before calling it a day I came across Timothy Lake. It was big and beautiful. 

This was my highest mileage day yet.  Thirty-three miles was unimaginable a few months ago. In 2012 when my daughter Staci (Hotshot) did the PCT she did a forty mile day. I'm pretty sure this was the part of the trail where she had her big day.


August 23- Saturday- Surprise Visit


Elaborate boardwalks and footbridge just above Timothy Lake. 


A unique use someone found for an old Forest Service Temporary Sign, poetry. 


Mount Hood in the background with its peak in the clouds. 


It used to take long periods of time to hit each hundred miles. In this case it was only four days. The trail between mile 2000 and mile 2100 was gentle, making a series of days with good mileage possible.  


Mount Hood getting closer.  I hiked with Teddy Rose today, who I met just before Big Bear in Southern California, but hadn't seen since.  She had taken Glitter in to the hospital when he finally decided to quit the trail for good. Recurring giardia finally made him end his trail journey.  

Teddy Rose is a 27 year old on quite a journey. Nine months ago her long time boyfriend died unexpectedly. He had been a triple crowner, hiking the Pacific Crest Trail, Continental Divide Trail, and the Appalacian Trail. 

What a tale. Her feet are really hurting. A doctor in Bend, Oregon suggested she stop because of tendons and ligaments separating from bones, but she very much intends to go forward.  She is tough, and determined, and inspirational.

Everyone who does this hike does it for different reasons. It seems this is exactly what Teddy Rose needs to be doing. She is, however, very clear that this will be the only thru-hike she will ever do. The wear and tear is just too much. 

The hike seems to be a positive, and important, experience for her. Such a strong person in so many ways. 


After more than a day without cell service I finally got in touch with Theresa. She surprised me and told me she planned to meet me at Timberline Lodge, at the base of Mount Hood.  Ben Rainville and Theresa met me for dinner. What a nice surprise. 

Theresa is going to try some of her athletic training skills and tape up Teddy Rose's feet. 

Theresa told me news about the Whites Fire near Etna Summit. The backfire was successful along Taylor Lake Road. Our cabin was within the burned area, it was saved. We were told it was easy to protect because it was fire safe. A lot of work had been done long before the fire, and I'm sure more was completed when fire crews got there.  

Our cabin is surrounded by a lot of burned trees now, so won't be as beautiful for a while. That is okay though, because everyone is safe, the cabin survived, and trees grow back. It was great news. 


The support of the Rainville clan on this hike has been great. Mike and Sharleen in supported in Southern California, Kyle and Brady representing Christa in Northern California, and now Ben in Oregon. That just leaves Jaclyn who lives in Washington. There is an advantage to having the Rainville family scattered up and down the length of the PCT. Always great company.  

At Timberline Lodge, Mount Hood, mile 2107.