Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Seven Zeroes

 August 1 thru August 7- Seven Zeroes

The lightning strikes started many fires. A week off the trail to help provide background support to the fire effort seemed reasonable. It required that I look a little more presentable than while on the trail. 


Theresa trimmed my hair. 


I wasn't going to trim my beard until I finished the trail, but I changed that plan. 




I'm convinced that many of my trail friends wouldn't recognize me now.

My feelings were conflicted. I wanted to keep hiking, and I wanted to help where I could with the fires. A seven day break from the trail was a compromise for me. 

Seven days off the trail and my feet really feel a lot better. Before the break it was feeling normal to have sore feet. Within these zero days walking like a stereotypical old guy stopped being the norm for me in the mornings. I think I may even be walking  somewhat normal.

I kept eating lots, and put on a few pounds quickly.  This week it's possible (probable) that I ate more ice cream than any other week in my life. 

To stay on schedule to finish by about October 1st will require picking up the pace. My goal is still to make it through Oregon by the end of August. It seems odd to me that it took four months to hike the length of California, and I'm hoping to hike the length of Oregon in three weeks. It's possible I'm being overly optimistic. 

I would like to eventually catch up with my trail family, but that may not be possible. It is, however, a challenge.  Challenges can be fun. 

Still at mile 1727, near I-5, in Southern Oregon near Mt. Ashland, slightly portlier, but with less weight from hair and beard.