Monday, August 4, 2014

Leaving California

This was the last portion of the hike that would be familiar territory. It started with a hard uphill. The next day it became gentler and I was able to cover 27 miles in one of my favorite areas.  

It was a stretch of milestones. Not only leaving California before August (one of my goals), but also passing the 1700 mile mark, and getting very close to the 2/3 point of the hike. 

After this stretch Glitter decided to end his hike. Many others also ended the hike here including Mong, Stayin' Afloat (Deb), and Penny Royal.

I saw an extremely tech guy, Halfmile, using a good old-fashioned Silva compass and it made me smile. The guy who developed the application everyone on the PCT uses on their Smartphone carries a Silva compass. An ironic moment. Hotshot convinced me at the beginning of the hike to take my Silva compass out of my pack for weight. 

Then, on the day I hiked in to Oregon the lightning storm arrived.  What a storm to witness from high on the Siskiyou crest. A monumental day. 


Tuesday-July 29-Quite a Climb


The only water for quite a while was this spring on a steep piece of trail. It led to a trail traffic jam. 


A view of Lower Devils Lookout from the trail. 


The Goff Fire of 2012 made some of this stretch open and hot. 


A view in to the Red Rocks Wilderness Area. 


Memories came to me of coming to this fence structure with the Range Conservationist from the Rogue-Siskiyou NF to fix a section of this rock fence. It seemed a bit ludicrous, but it was a day in the woods, so it was a good day. 


Lilypad Lake

The light pack helped, but it was still a tough day.  I made it to Cook & Green Pass and the food and supplies Theresa and I had stashed Monday. There were other hikers lounging, recovering from the tough climb. One of the hikers was Glitter, who was sick, another victim of giardia. He stayed as I went ahead another four miles. As it turned out, he was only two days from the end of his hike. 

Giardia has been bringing many to their knees. 

Wednesday-July 30-A Major Milestone-Too Much Excitement 


Beardog Spring is a small spring along the trail. Bill Roberts, now in his late sixties and a packer with the Forest Service, told me a few years ago about the name. Early in his career the PCT was rerouted. He was in this area with his dog, Beardog. Beardog was scouting about and came back to him wet. Bill hadn't realized there was a spring there before. Exploring, he found where Beardog had gotten wet. He put up a makeshift sign and started calling it Beardog Spring. The name stuck and is now on maps, signs, and in the PCT guides.


Donomore Meadows. 


The old cabin at Donomore Meadows. 


Finally at the California/Oregon border!  I had been hiking alone headed up to the border and I heard voices. Upon arrival I saw Lighthouse and Mong, who had passed me on the trail, and was pleasantly surprised when I was also greeted by Princess, Mr. Sandals, Firecracker, and Tidy Camper. I hadn't seen them since the trail traffic jam and it was a nice mini-reunion. 


Another milestone, the 1700 mile mark 


Storm clouds on the horizon. Initially a downpour soaked a few hikers, but it was a short-lived drenching, and wasn't widespread. 

When I worked on this Ranger District I spent considerable time on cattle grazing in this vicinity. It seemed ironic to me when I didn't see any cattle at all in the entire crest area. There were some cowbells clanging in the distance, so I knew they were there. 


This was an omen of things to come. The first fire I noticed from the afternoon lightning storm.  


With a little more hiking I saw seven separate fire starts from the storm. Reality was, there were many more than just those seven. 


As we (Mr.Sandals, Princess, Firecracker and Tidy Camper) camped lightning continued. It was spectacular, and occasionally a bit spooky. What a light show. 


The storm left some beautiful sights. 


Thursday-July 31-East on Siskiyou Crest


I'm sure nobody else even noticed, or cared about, this newly built corral. This corral was part of a plan started when I still worked on the District. It was promised mitigation important to both the rancher/permittee and the environmental community.  Seeing this was in place made me happy. 


It's hard to see it, but Mt. Shasta is in the background. I was first able to see that mountain about three weeks ago, but then it was from the south, while hiking the Hat Creek Rim. 


Three fascinating people. Signal, Mong, and Lighthouse.   Signal, from Isreal, had service and was talking to his mother just before this picture. She had to quickly hang up on him as a bomb warning had just sounded. He checked online to see the status of bombing in Tel Aviv. Such concerns. He is 23 years old, in the Isreali Army Reserves, and is expecting to be called to duty when he returns following this hike. 

Mong is an American, but works in China as an oil and gas analyst. She has decided to stop hiking today and head back to China a bit early. She wouldn't be able to get to Canada before having to go back to work, so decided just hiking the length of California was enough. Lighthouse is from Seattle and can speak many languages. He is a world traveler and has great stories to tell. It was an interesting break. 


Grouse Gap Shelter. At one point I thought of trying to make it to the shelter by Wednesday night, that was unrealistic. After 27 miles my legs weren't ready for any more. 


Pilot Rock 


Theresa along with the blue truck and an ice chest full of cold drinks were at the pickup spot right after passing under Interstate 5. A welcome site. The plan was for a zero day or two. The plan soon changed to add a few more zeroes. 

Those lightning strikes caused many, many, many fires. I immediately came out of retirement for a bit to provide background administrative support for the firefighting effort. 

At Siskiyou Summit, mile 1727. Finally in Oregon, but temporarily on a break from the trail.