Monday, August 25, 2014

Goodbye to Oregon

The trail in Oregon has come to an end. Some memories of Oregon include:

   -Rain
   -Mosquitoes
   -Lightening, Fires, Rain
   -Mosquitoes
   -30+ mile days (six)
   -Solo Camping
   -Mosquitoes
   -Chasing (and finally catching) trail family
   -Support on trail by Theresa and Jim & Nancy Zanotti
   -Gentle terrain (mostly) and good trails (mostly, with exception by Mackenzie Pass)
   -Hiking with a Priest
   -Mosquitoes
   -428 miles in 18 days after my seven day zero

I wanted to get through Oregon by the end of August to have a good chance of finishing the hike before snow hits in Northern Washington this fall. Finishing August 25, after taking a seven day zero, was thrilling. Even more thrilling was meeting back up with my trail family in Cascade Locks. 

August 24-Sunday-Mount Hood

Theresa had my resupply. This was good because it meant I had enough food to last me the next 195 miles. This was bad because I had to carry that much weight. The pack seemed especially heavy leaving Timberline Lodge. The weight reminded me of what was necessary to carry heading in to the Sierras. In addition to lots of food, and some water, I had added back my cold weather gear for Washington. Underarmor, gloves, balaclava, more raingear, and a sleeping bag liner are now back in the pack, adding weight. 

Theresa was playing doctor in the parking lot at the lodge. She bandaged up my blister, then she went into her athletic training mode and taped up Teddy Rose to try to make her able to finish the trail. She used a combination of athletic tape and duct tape to do an elaborate foot/ankle wrap. She learned this skill nearly forty years ago in college and it's still coming in handy. 


Mount Hood is a spectacular mountain. 





More Mount Hood pictures 


There were balloons at the crossing of the Sandy River. Just two weeks ago, August 13, a day hiker lost his life here during a storm and very high water.  Many others were stranded as a bridge washed out.  It was so low as we crossed we didn't even get our feet wet.  It was eerie. There were fresh signs up warning of the hazards, but the hazard was gone with the good weather. 


The Animal walks in front of Ramona Falls. He works on nuclear submarines when he's not hiking. He's an exception to the typical age found on the trail. At thirty-nine years old he doesn't fit into the twenty something cohort, nor does he fit into the fifty/sixty cohort. In math terms, he's an outlier. 

Because I got a late start, mostly resupplying, eating, and visiting with Theresa, I was happy to get in 14 miles for the day. They were an important 14 miles. It was an uphill grind to get out of the way so Monday would be more successful. 

I went to sleep almost exactly 4/5 the way through the hike. 


August 25-Monday-Motivational Text-The Last 30 Mile Day (I Hope)

There weren't many hikers at all on the morning bit of trail. Only three hikers until about 4:00 in the afternoon. One section hiker, and then Possum and Almost Awesome! This couple from Tennessee I had met in the Sierras and figured to never see again as they are young and especially fast. They had to get off the trail and go back to Tennessee for about three weeks to take care of Possum's mom who had become very sick. Sometimes real life has a way of getting in the way of trail life. It was great to visit with them again. 

I took the Altermate PCT, Eagle Creek Loop, to see an incredible series of waterfalls, and especially Tunnel Falls. It was a beautiful loop. This section of trail is not open for horses so it can't be part of the primary PCT, and can only be shown as a hiker only alternate. 

A text message came through with news that Princess and Mr. Sandals were still in Cascade Locks, and wouldn't be leaving until the morning of the 26th! This meant if I hustled, and did a 33 mile day, I could finally tie in with my trail family. It had been July 31st when we were last together. 

The text sent loose a flood of emotion. The hard push to catch up for the last 18 days was going to finally come to an end. For the rest of the trail I will be able to hike rational days, about twenty miles, and take regular zeroes. I will be hiking with friends. 

Also, a text came in today from Me Too. He had planned more for his hike than anyone. More physical problems had hit him than imaginable, and he kept on going, determined to finish. He had made it as far as Cascade Locks, and had to leave the trail for the season. His girlfriend is having major heart problems and will require emergency surgery. Again, sometimes real life gets in the way of trail life. 

Usually when a thirty mile day was in order I would get a very early start, such as 5:00 or 5:15. I hadn't got a particularly quick beginning, hitting the trail at 7:00. 



Some serious blasting had to take place to build trail into this solid rock. 




These two pictures show the tunnel that goes behind the waterfall at Tunnel Falls.  This was one of the more unique and wonderful bits of trail yet. 


The reunion with my trail family was glorious!  By the time I made it to Cascade Locks it was dark, almost 9:00. Wonderfully, Princess had ordered pizza and soda for me. 

At one point I was considering getting off the trail for a couple of days to go to my daughter, Ashley's, baby shower once I made it to Cascade Locks. The logistics and timing just didn't work out so continuing the trail made more sense. This new plan means I won't need to hustle for days, or even a week, to catch up again. 

At Cascade Locks, Oregon, mile 2155.  Getting ready to hike over the Bridge of the Gods, crossing the Columbia River, to Washington in the morning!