Saturday, August 30, 2014

Washington

The speedy trip through Oregon seems to have taken its toll. Slow, heavy, sore, and challenging were the feelings for the start of Washington. 

When I try to whine about the little aches and pains of the trail, I remind myself of the differences between what I go through, and what the campers at The Painted Turtle go through. 

My aches and pains are voluntary and self imposed, and they will go away soon. The young people who go to The Painted Turtle have their conditions completely involuntarily, and the conditions are chronic, they won't be going away. Nobody would choose to have to deal with Hemophylia, or Crohn's, colitis, or major kidney or liver problems, or any of the other diagnoses that bring campers to The Painted Turtle.  The camp provides the chance for them to go where their diagnosis is normal. They can have fun, and be with others who truly do understand what they are dealing with.  There's more than a little fun there, there's a lot of fun. 

The Painted Turtle is a fabulous camp with a special purpose. It allows campers to have a camp experience, and not be limited by a chronic condition.  Theresa and I were introduced to the camp by our daughter, Kari, and our son-in-law, Colin. We have all been touched by the camp. It truly is a special place. 

The smiles of the campers are huge, genuine, and needed. Just being part of this makes volunteers feel great too. It truly is a magical place. 

Thank you to all who have already donated to The Painted Turtle!  Your generosity and support are awesome!  
Many have planned to give a penny or two, or more, per mile when I'm done...I'm getting closer...start digging in that penny jar. 

There are two goals for this hike, to complete the 2650+ mile hike, and to raise $5000 for The Painted Turtle. I'm just over 80% through the hike, and just over 40% of the way to the fund raising goal with your donations of more than $2100!!!  You are awesome, or in camp speak, "YES, YES, YES!!!"


August 26- Tuesday-The Climb

The lowest point on trail is 140 feet above sea level at the Bridge of the Gods. Immediately after crossing this bridge a major climb started. The Oregon portion of the PCT didn't have any climbs like this. The climb out of the Columbia River is reminiscent of the climbs out of the Klamath River, the Sacramento River, the Feather River, and the Yolo River in California.

Shorter uphill stretches of trail are easier now. I certainly move slower going uphill, but can maintain a steady pace. The long, continuous uphills take different mind games. I estimate how long it will take to get to the top, such as six hours, then break it into four pieces. I only allow myself breaks every hour and a half. I just slow down when I get tired. An exception is allowed for switchbacks, they're generally steeper. I take a breather break at every left hand turn on switchbacks. 

Another goofy game I played, when I was going for big mile days, was to see how long I could before taking my first break in the morning. My personal best was five hours, and I often made it four and a half hours. This allowed for up to 13 miles by 10:00 a.m..

Countless other mind games go on while hiking. Figuring how many steps per mile is simple in flat ground, but the calibrating it for steepness and cruddy trails has helped to wile the time. 

It is good timing for blackberries and huckleberries. It's nice to just be able to pick and eat food that's not carried. Purple fingers and slower hikes are casualties of this activity.

The blisters are much better now.  Hiking is so much better without them. 

I was finally hiking with someone else again, kind of. The Oregon hard push wore me out. It's common for me to hike slow uphill, but I was especially slow on the hot south facing slopes with a heavy pack. Most folks were resupplying at Trout Lake so didn't have quite the load. Double Tap was the only other one I talked with doing the stretch all the way to Whites Pass without resupplying. I did not keep up with the family. I finally met up at the designated spot, but not until 9:30, an hour after dark



The impressive Bridge of the Gods spans the Columbia River. 


Officially in Washington. 


Mr. Sandals back on the trail again after the road walk over the Bridge of the Gods. 


August 27-Wednesday-Day 150 German Television?

This made 150 days since I started this journey. It has been everything I hoped for. I've met new friends, learned new skills, seen new places, and am in better shape than I've been in years. Canada is in the crosshairs, less than a month away, if all goes well. 


Trout Creek


A nice part of the trail. It was flat here, which was not typical so far for Washington.  But, typical so far for Washington, it was loaded with trees, with a lush understory. There weren't many views to be seen due to the green tunnel. 



Wind River


It doesn't get more random than this!  Princess and Mr. Sandals had told us a TV crew from a national German station would be meeting us at the Panther Creek Campground. As could have been predicted, Princess, Mr. Sandals, Firecracker, and Tidy Camper beat me by quite a bit, about an hour and a half. With a heavy pack, and having pushed hard for so long, I had continued trouble keeping up. The conventional wisdom was Washington would be more difficult hiking than Oregon. That had been absolutely true so far. 

The interviews were basically over, and they were just filming the goofy banter, and the next day's planning, around the picnic table when I showed up. A woman from the show saw me hovering and asked if I would join in. 

There were nine of us, five from the family, and four with the German TV station. Seven of the nine spoke or understood German, I wasn't one of the seven.  I had little to add to the conversation. "Ich bin ein Berliner" is about all I know in German, and I couldn't figure out how to slip that phrase into the conversation. 

Princess had told them about our family, so the crew showed up with food and drinks for all of us!  They filmed us. I was filthy and tired, all I did was eat a marvelous cold hamburger and French fries. 

The show is a news magazine the equivalent of a German Nightline. Unbeknownst to me they had interviewed Princess and Mr. Sandals already earlier in the hike at Kennedy Meadows (South).  The crew was also following some other German PCT hikers, but logistics made reconnecting with Princess and Mr. Sandals in Washington work best.

The most fun was the banter and teasing after the TV crew left. They have a couple more stops before they head back to Washington DC, where they are stationed. They should have stayed for an impressive musical performance, and a hatchet throwing experience. The "after" jocularity certainly would have survived any cutting room floor. 

Random happenings have occurred on the trail, but this one will be hard to beat!  

Twenty-one tough miles.  For the first time in a while I was done hiking before dark. 


August 28-Thursday-Another Climb, This Time Up From Wind River


After leaving Cascade Locks, and the Columbia River gorge a couple days ago there was quite a climb, then a descent to the Wind River, and Panther Creek Campground. We were back down to 940 feet elevation. Subsequently, the morning consisted of eight miles of uphill to get out of the Wind River canyon. It was challenging, but allowed for a nice view back south, at Mt Hood, where I was just a few days before. 


Toward the north was another mountain. Mount Adams dominated the skyline looking that direction.  Mount Adams is the second highest mountain in Washington, topped only by Mount Ranier. 


Some little ponds, similar to the ones Father Hotshot called "mosquito breeding grounds" were along the way. It appears the pesky mosquito season must have passed, or they've all moved to Oregon. 



Grassy meadows are so rare, one deserved a picture. 
 
"A place for everything, and everything in its place" is not a motto that has followed me through life. However, on the hike this is a necessity. It had served me well, up until this point on the hike. My pant legs belong on my legs. 

The day ended with me realizing I had no pants legs. My hiking pants are made so the bottoms unzip, and the long pants become shorts. I had just been using the shorts for the last two days. It got cold and windy in the evening and I went to zip on my pants legs, but I must have left them somewhere. My timing is impeccable, snow is in the forecast not far north from here. It's August!  Snow can't really be in the forecast...can it? 

The sound of the wind howling when in a tent is great, especially when inside a warm sleeping bag.

Camping for the night at Blue Lake, mile 2213.

August 29-Friday-Firecracker is Crazy


Blue Lake, where we camped the previous evening. 


The family taking a break on the trail. 


Mr. Sandals with Mount Adams in the background. 


Lunch break was at a trailhead. After being there for a while a family showed up from a four day backpacking trip. They generously shared food and stories with us. It was a great impromptu gathering. They didn't have any wasted food to take home at the end of our visit. There was some serious "Yogiing" taking place:)




What possessed Firecracker to do a handstand with her head between these logs?  I don't think the move would be OSHA approved. 


Brilliant serviceberries along the trail. 

A storm appears on the horizon. It felt all day like a storm, but there were only a few drops. 

Nineteen miles closer to Canada. 

Mile 2233, near Trout Lake, Washington.