Monday, May 22, 2023

101 km to Santiago

 






There were some beautifully built and maintained trails today:) Also, nice, rolling topography. Not jaw dropping beauty, but nice relaxing beauty. 

Some more monuments along the way where people are putting their stones.

When I crossed the autopista (interstate in our terms) and I saw greater than 500 km to San Sebastián it made me smile knowing I had walked all that, and more because the autopista is straight and the trail is not:).

The markers in Galicia indicate that I’m just over 100km to Santiago. That’s the first goal for this pilgrimage.  The I have another 87 km to get to Finisterre and the west end of the trail.  

If all goes as planned I’ll make Santiago on Friday.  Today’s plans didn’t go as I thought they would.  I just got tired and didn’t go as far as I had hoped, but still completed 18 miles. I’m in the town of Baamonde for the night.  

This is a huge albergue. Think of a warehouse with bunk beds.  I met an American man from Missouri about my age. He’s doing the Camino with his daughter and son-in-law.  The daughter and son-in-law (Mel and Michael) are serious hikers and have been in Etna, Seiad, and the area a few times.  They are triple crowners, PCT, AT, and CDT, and have interesting stories to tell.

I bought food to microwave for dinner. Every albergue is different. This one has a microwave, but no utensils.  I ate lasagna with my fingers, and a noodle shrimp dish with my fingers.  I felt like a caveman.  

A highlight came for me at 2:15 this morning.  I have learned to have my phone on silent in the evenings so as not to wake up everyone.  I was laying, awake, wishing I could sleep in the middle of the night and I heard my phone vibrate.  It was my 8 year old granddaughter texting me on her mother’s phone. A wonderful text.  I have never been so happy to be contacted in the middle of the night!!

Buen Camino