Saturday, May 27, 2023

Last Long Day









 The Taxi Drivers have figured out that some pilgrims get tired, and want rides. There are often yellow arrows with the phone numbers of the local taxi, or larger signs like these. I have never succumbed:)

I walked with a woman from Slovenia today.  It was a wonderful conversation.  She and her husband have four children, the oldest an 18 year old girl. She did the entire Camino Francés.  They have a small farm in Slovenia, and we both discussed how others though Santiago was a nice, small city  it seemed to both of us to be a real big city!  She said it’s bigger than her capital city!

I’m embarrassed as to how little I know about Europe, and especially it’s countries. I’m going to have to get maps and figure out where they are in relation to each other.  There’s no way I can get Jeopardy! questions right without serious remedial work.  Being humiliated when I asked what language they speak in Latvia still haunts me. 

The monk I had so much fun with, Lawrence, told me about a 74 year old Lithuanian woman who walked all the way from Lithuania on her pilgrimage. He kept saying “from Lithuanian, from Lithuania.”  Someday I think I should learn where Lithuania is.  Maybe near Latvia?  Maybe they speak Lithuanian?  I have felt humbled on this trip regarding how little I know about Europe. Maybe Slovenia is close to them…what language do they speak?

There are continuing scenes and flowers along the way. The morning sunrise was especially nice. 

I came across this werewolf statue. I took a picture of the write up. Most fun was the little boy telling me about it in Spanish, and his father laughing at him. I just know he was excited about the statue;)

There was a stretch with no services. Three options were all crappy.  I choose the option of making today a long day.  My feet prefer shorter days.  I went 21 miles today, and they did well.  That means less than ten miles to the finish.  

I’m in the fishing port of Cee.  It’s a cute little port city.  The first Albergue was full, the second one has about 20 bunk beds, 40 total beds, in one room.  I got here early enough to get my choice.  Absolutely a bottom bunk.  Middle of the night bathroom breaks are easier, and, I can store my belongings under the bed.  Then, I got the closest bed to the exit door.  I get up earlier than most.  I pack up in the evening, then leave before most are awake.  Being close to the exit means I don’t bother anyone.  

I had a great experience with fireworks and a little parade through a village today. I can’t get it to load to the blog, but I’ll show it to folks if interested.  It was fireworks, bagpipes and all celebrating the Pentecost tomorrow.

A few raindrops today, but, really a nice day.  I’m ready to be done, but, this has been great!