Monday, May 1, 2023

Longest day-No Hotel

 







I slept well in the tent:). It rained, but no problem with that. The only problem was a rooster with an inaccurate clock. There were chickens wandering around when I arrived yesterday, not an unusual sight. I thought nothing of it, until 3:50 a.m..  The rooster sounded like he was inches from my head when he screamed. I had a hard time falling back asleep. 

What a day! I hiked into, and through, Bilbao.  I saw the Guggenheim Museum in the distance, and an awesome, large church/cathedral up close, but couldn’t go inside.  When I saw enough of Bilbao for the day, I decided to push quite a bit further, late in the day, to the town of Portugalete. Unfortunately I did not bother to get a reservation to stay at an albergue, hostel, hotel, or anything for the night  

I’m exhausted, and thrilled finally have a hotel room for the night. 

Quick rundown. I got to a town one albergue closed, hotels all closed because it’s a huge national holiday, I couldn’t find the other albergue, and couldn’t get a room in a hotel, it was starting to get dark, and I was working on my plan. 

I bought a Coca-cola and pondered. Decided I would start walking, and a couple about my age walked up. They walked with me up to the second albergue with a locked door and a phone number. I called the number, they were full and would take no more. 

The albergue “manager” came up with an idea and gave me a number for a closed hotel. This other hotel was closed for the holiday, but if I was willing to pay 30 Euros they would send someone to open it for me. I would have paid much more. 

I am safe in a great spot!  With one odd exception. There’s a large statue outside my room that’s a little creepy.

My longest day yet, 25 miles. I really am glad I’m not hiking through the night!

The hotel room has a TV.  I’m trying to watch How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days in Spanish.  My success is not great.  I’m glad I had success with finding a place to stay tonight.  That’s much more important than a Woody Harrelson movie;)

Some more heavy talks with folks while hiking today.  A lot of people are dealing with really hard stuff in life.  Parts of today could best be described as a mobile, international, multilingual, group therapy session.