Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Alone Time

 







So many big old churches along the way, in virtually every small village. A benefit is being able to hear peaceful bells regularly through the countryside. The Camino goes by churches along the way. Most have a historical plaque. One pictured above was built in 1730’s and my thought was how new it was. It was the most recent date of the churches I’ve seen…and there are a lot of old churches on the Camino:)

There were so many beautiful scenes today. A real photographer could have done wonders! Peaceful.  

A lot of time to think. Maybe too much time:)

I made it through Santillana Del Mar again, where I had visited with Rick and Nancy by car yesterday. I walked past many of the sites a second time. I giggled when I noticed the parking space where Rick parked. There was a parking attendant who was very particular. Rick parked. 

Theresa and I grade each other’s parking when we’re out. Rules such as if you touch a line it’s less than a C. It’s very rare to receive an A+. We’re docked one grade if we go back and adjust. It’s a silly game we play. 

Rick’s parking job was an A-, if a person were a really tough grader maybe a B+. It wasn’t good enough for this parking attendant. Rick had to adjust it to an A+. 

I thought Theresa was a tough grader, but I found someone tougher.

From Santillana to Camillas was the ultimate long, time to think, repeatedly beautiful stroll.  I thought of the “two backpack” theory a German pilgrim shared.  Every pilgrim carries two backpacks. There are stones in both backpacks. Some have bigger, and heavier backpacks than  others.

You get to take one backpack off at night.  You can do things to reduce the load from this backpack.  I sent some things back with Rick and Nancy I didn’t need, it reduced my load.  I carry just enough water to get to the next water source.  I eat a lot of the snacks as soon as I feel any hunger, it keeps me fueled, and it reduces my load.  When the time and place is right, I place a stone for a close friend, or family member, the lighter load is just a little bit at a time, but every little bit counts.

The other backpack is tougher.  Everyone has this other backpack, some are quite a bit heavier than others.  There are stones that will never be taken out of THAT backpack. The German said the best option for her is to get stronger so she can carry that backpack. For five years she’s been coming back to do the Camino.  She’s darn strong.  In sections she’s hiked from Germany all the way to Santiago.  She’s taken different routes.  

There are arrows along the Camino to help guide the way. Sometimes they’re big and clearly marked.  Sometimes they’re old and challenging to locate.  Learning how to find these arrows and indicators takes some time and paying close attention.  I’m getting better at it.  

There weren’t a lot of people around today, but, every one was kind.  Kids walking and giggling on a walking field trip made me happy. Language barriers aren’t barriers if people have smiles and play charades.  I carried on a conversation with two French women who spoke no English or Spanish.  It was funny.  Their husbands are walking the Camino, and they’re driving.  

There are so many analogies.  I had way too much time alone:)  Seeing and appreciating all the beauty and good helps me forget for a while I have my backpack on.  Thankfulness. Accepting the help and kindness of others helps. Helping others to lighten their backpack seemed to help lighten mine. 

I’m thankful that I can still physically do this crazy pilgrimage.  23 miles today.