Sunday, May 7, 2023

Friends From Home

 







We went back to my last steps before taking some time off for tourist activities. Rick dropped Nancy and I off at Pobeña/Playa Arenas to continue with the hike. The trail immediately had a long steep stretch of stairs…she was skeptical:). But, the views were great when we got up high:)

Rick met us after three or fours miles and the two of them went touring, and it was time for me to resume the pilgrimage. We’ll get back together in a few days. The day consisted of ocean and beach views, and trying to get back in hiking shape after a few days off. 

I met up with Joke (pronounced Joke-ah) from Belgium or Germany and the Roses, Thorns, Daffodils, and Buds night. It’s fun to have the little reunions.

I “camped” in a wall tent in a campground in Islares, which was a good thing, it rained hard through the night. There were six beds in the wall tent, but I was the only one in it. The perfect scenario, a big tent, cheap, and nobody else snoring. 

I have now left the Basque Country, and entered the Province (or state, or whatever it’s called) of Cantabria. There were no big signs or ceremonies, but more flags of Spain, and less graffiti calling for Independence.