Monday, May 15, 2023

Unexpected Villaviciosa

 





A hotel along the way titled El Babú. Babú isn’t a Spanish word, it is a Swahili word that means Grandfather. Babú is what my grandchildren call me. The name of this hotel made me smile. 

The picture with the church on the left, and the albergue (pink) on the right is where I stayed. 

A lot of rain was falling after leaving that albergue, but I made a reasonable distance. By 2:30 pm I arrived at the next albergue I was going to stay at, but couldn’t check in until 4:00 pm so decided to eat. The only restaurant around was closed, permanently. I went ahead maybe another six or eight miles to Villaviciosa, got a spot in an albergue in the middle of the city and badly needed to eat. I stopped an 82 year old man, Florentino, on the street and asked him for a good place to eat. 

About three hours later I knew quite a bit about Florentino, his lifelong friend Emilio, how the best apple cider in the world is made in Villaviciosa, and how crucial it is that it be poured properly, and the great skill involved. I had excellent paella, and was very full. His wife passed away three years ago and I think he hangs out and entertains perigrinos for fun:). There were language issues, but they were overcome:). A fun evening.