Saturday, May 20, 2023

The Final Province-Galicia














A couple of pictures on top about the two breakfast comparisons I talked about before. One is the table full of leftovers from the sit down breakfast for about ten that was amazing. The next breakfast was a container of coffee and some rolls. 

There has been a lot of logging on this entire trip. I finally saw a lumber mill. 

Lot’s of beautiful rural countryside, and calm thinking and relaxing.

Finally I made it to the river which is the border between the provinces of Asturias and Galicia. The albergue was just past on the other side of the bridge in a wonderful setting. 

A nice view looking back at boats and the bay/ria from Ribadeo.

Interesting night. Mostly German spoken. 12 beds, all full. I had hiked in with three Germans two young guys and an older woman and got some of the last slots. Lots of confusion because of languages. I think Dutch and others were spoken too. I went grocery shopping with the German contingent, more confusion there. I’ll keep the story short, I had odd food for dinner and breakfast, and, people are very kind;).

This seemed to be the most challenging language setting this far for the trip. 

The older woman, Alicia, indicated she knew me. She did the thing with two fingers to her eyes, and then pointed them at me. I thought that was “I’ve got my eyes on you” kind of signal. She meant it as “I’ve seen you before.” I didn’t remember, and we were having the complete language challenge. Finally, she got out her Credencial from the very first day of the Camino a month ago in Irún, and sure enough we started the same day!  There were about 40 people in that albergue a month ago, my memory isn’t that good.  How could she have remembered me? 

I’m making steady progress  Ribadeo signals the end of following the coast. From here the trail goes inland, in a southwest direction, toward Santiago.