Thursday, May 25, 2023

First Goal Reached-Santiago Compostela



 











I can’t figure out how to get this thing to format correctly. Technology is not my strength. The pictures are not in any order, when I try to fix that, I screw everything up. 

Wednesday afternoon I pushed too hard. There was another mixup with the German boys, and then another Thursday, it appears I won’t see them again. The communication challenges were daunting. I walked too far, my right foot got sore, I finally stopped at a really nice hotel and had a great dinner, but it didn’t help my feet. I felt spoiled, soaked my feet, got up in the middle of the night without bothering anyone, did my backpack “explosion” and got that all organized again.  

I was worried about my right foot this morning. It wasn’t perfect, but it was functional.  Because I had such a big day Wednesday, I didn’t have far to go to get to Santiago Compostela this morning. It’s a good thing I didn’t have far to go, I was exceptionally slow. A few reasons for this exceptionally slow speed: 1)My foot hurt 2) the trail merged with many others, most notably the Primitivo and the major one, the Camino Francés. The onslaught of people was even worse than I’d been led to believe. I thought for sure I would run into someone I had hiked with before, so walked slow so I could check people out as they passed me. Hundreds passed me, I didn’t recognize one of them. I stopped at cafés and sat where I could watch pilgrims walk by. All day I never saw anyone I knew, and I saw a LOT of people. 3) I was walking slow to relish the moment.  I was just soaking in the enjoyment of knowing that I was going to make it, and appreciating the amazement of what I was seeing, and a part of. 

Then, from a park on a hill a couple of miles away, was the first glimpse of the Santiago Compostela. It was really cool. Lots of people around and enjoying the moment. 

I had an emotional moment there with placing a stone. Wow. 

Then on to Santiago Compostela. I ate, did a self guided tour through the chapel, sat in a pew and relaxed (I wasn’t rousted by a little girl this time) went down to the area where reportedly the remains of Saint James are, and just marveled at how big and amazing it all was. 

Then, I went and got my certificates for having completed the pilgrimage. That was a challenge. Have I mentioned I’m not good with technology. Add technology and language differences, and things get funny. I wasn’t about to give up. I was going to get that certificate no matter what. They eventually realized I couldn’t accomplish the needed tasks on my phone, and sent me to a kiosk. Then I waited in line to get to a reviewer who would check my Credencials to be sure I deserved the Certificate.  I had done everything correctly and actually received two Credentials, one for Ken Harris. The other for Dominum Canicum Harris. Apparently that’s my name in Latin. The counter on the display showed that almost 1700 people had got their certificate today. I believe it, there were a LOT of people there! There were way more in line when I left!

Sergio never got back in touch with me. I sat in the cathedral for quite a while just relaxing, looking at the immensity of it all, listening and watching the crowds, and just relaxing…and resting my feet. I was hoping to get a text back from him, but never did. My trigger point was 3:00pm. If I didn’t hear anything by then I was going to leave. 

I’m not a fan of cities, and, Santiago is too big for me. It’s an interesting place, just too many people. I looked for the nearest hostel far enough out of the city to make me feel comfortable, but close enough that I wouldn’t hurt my foot more. I found the perfect one, and it serves dinner in 15 minutes so I’m about done. 

Now I will be going west about three days to Finisterre. That will be the true end of the pilgrimage. Apparently, a person can get even another Certificate there. I’m not exactly sure what I’m going to do with these Certificates;)

It may take more than three days to get there. My speed is no longer up to the rest of me, it’s up to my feet.