Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Short Day

 





There were some very nice views, and nice trails along the way. There was also a quite long industrial area taking in huge ships, what seemed like countless Conex containers, etc between Portugalete and the end of the early day in Pobeña, a wonderful little town.

A beautiful resort beach and town right before the albergue had many people enjoying the warm, near perfect weather. After yesterday’s long and stressful day, I took it easy today. I was at the albergue before it opened, and napped in front of it. When it opened I did laundry, and organized my pack again, before taking a wonderful stroll on the beach. 

I had been steadily increasing my daily mileage, but that’s coming to a stop. Today was only about ten miles, and, tomorrow will be even less. In the morning I plan to walk to the bus stop and ride the bus to Bilbao where I will meet up with my friends Rick and Nancy from back home in Scott Valley. There will be two or three days of being a normal tourist before returning to this wonderful beach area and continuing my pilgrimage. 

I’ve been trying to learn a few words in the Basque language of this area. I can say Goodbye, but, I destroy Hello and Thank You. Luckily a person can get by with just English and Spanish. I have a hard time even remembering the name of the language, Euskarian?  It’s fun trying. 

I’ve finally placed a few stones I’ve been carrying for friends and family. If I have your stone, I will contact you with a private message when I find the right place for yours. 

Placing a stone is shockingly emotional. Yesterday I was asked to carry a stone from a German pilgrim who can’t finish. It was special to be asked to do it, but, admittedly some blubbering occurred.